This is a very popular Cantonese dish. My husband is a big fan. Actually, it can be found easily from local supermarket, and the price is very cheap. But I really want to try and make it by myself at home.
Ingredients: (Actually my meat portion is too large compared to rice, so I suggest using less chicken and pork. Cut down to 1/2 or 2/3).
sticky rice 1 cup
water 1 1/2 cup
1 boneless chicken leg
pork belly 100 g
Chinese sausage (La Chang) 1
dry shiitake mushroom 6
light soy sauce 1 tbsp
dark soy sauce 1/2 tbsp
cooking wine 1 tbsp
oyster sauce 1 tbsp
sugar 1 tbsp
five spice powder 1 tsp
salt 1/2 tsp
- Soak sticky rice over night. And steam for 25 mins. Or you can just put sticky rice and water into rice cooker and let the rice cooker do the job. (When I use the rice cooker, I put in too much water. As a result, my sticky rice is very soft and grains are broken. So I suggest less water here.) When rice is cooked, open the lid to let it get dry and cool down.
- Soak dry shiitake mushroom in water till soft. Don’t throw away the shiitake water.
- Cut chicken into medium chunks, pork belly into short strips. Put them in a bowl. Add in all the marinade ingredients: light soy sauce, dark soy sauce, cooking wine, oyster sauce, sugar, five spice powder and salt. Mix well and let them marinate for 30 mins.
- Dice shiitake mushroom and Chinese sausage.
- Heat a pan. Add in 2 tsp oil. Shiitake in first. Stir fry for a min. Then add in sausage, chicken and pork. Stir fry till meat turns white in color.
- Pour in 1/4 cup shiitake water and simmer for 3-5 mins to reduce the sauce.
- Since I don’t have lotus leaf, I used parchment (cooking paper) instead.
- Place sticky rice at one end of the paper. Put chicken, pork, mushroom, sausage over the rice. Drizzle a little sauce to add flavor to rice. Then roll it from one end to the other. Twist two ends.
Steam for 30 mins.
AS I said at the beginning, my sticky rice is too soft. Apart from that, everything is nice. And my husband gave it thumps up.
You can dig in just unwrap the paper, or you can put it into a bowl.