Ever since my husband and I had oxtail stew at the Shashlik restaurant, I was very eagerly to try cooking oxtail by myself. And we bought oxtail from the supermarket. I cooked red wine oxtail stew today.
Main ingredients are oxtail pieces and vegetables (I chose 1 medium onion, 1 carrot, 1/4 head cabbage and 1/2 1 cup peeled cherry tomatoes).
- Prepare oxtail. I used about 600g. Wash them a bit and pat dry with kitchen towel.
Sprinkle salt and pepper over them.
2. Heat a pan, drizzle in a little oil. Place oxtail pieces in and fry them. Flip occasionally to fry each side. I also cut in 1 tbsp butter. Take them out when they turn golden brown in color.
3. Use the same pan. Saute chopped onion first till they got brownish. Then add in carrot and cabbage. Stir fry for 2-3 mins. And set them aside too.
4. Heat the pan again. saute 2 cloves garlic slices. Then add in oxtail, fry a bit. Pour in 3/4 cup red wine. Boil a bit to let the alcohol evaporate. Pour in 1 cup stock and 2–3 cup hot water.
5. Add all the fried vegetables in. Also add in peeled tomatoes.
6. Season with salt, pepper, cumin seed, thyme, bayleaf, and 1 tbsp tomato sauce.
7. Bring to boil first. Then turn to low heat and simmer for 2 hrs. A skillet will do a better job in stew.
8. Because I just used normal pot, So after 2 hrs, beef becomes tender but not as soft as I expected.
9. To make the sauce thicker. I grab a pan. Add in 2 tsp butter. Then heat it. When butter melts, add in 2 Tbsp flour. Stir well. And pour in 4 tbsp stew soup. Stir well and add into the pot. Then the stew will become very thick.
This stew goes very well with bread. I dip bread into it and put into my husband’s mouth, I saw his eyes sparkled. He was like “this is very nice!”
I reserved some sauce before he finished all of it. I think the sauce will be a super match for pasta.
I cook this stew for lunch. My husband was still thinking about the stew at night. 🙂 He kept telling me that this stew is a big success. 🙂