This is a Malaysian Nonya Kueh, which contains sticky rice as bottom layer and pandan egg custard on top. I love this dessert very much. I found this recipe on Youtube and followed it:
- Soak 300g glutinous rice in water for 4 hrs. Drain them and place them in a plate. Add in 100ml coconut milk, 1 tsp salt and 100 ml water. and put a pandan knot over it. Steam for 25 mins.
- Put 5 pandan leaves (cut into small pieces) and 200 ml water into blender. Blend till very smooth. Sieve the liquid and keep the juice only.
- In a bowl, beat in 3 eggs. Combine with 100g sugar (original recipe requires 120g sugar, but I cut it. 100g sugar is still sweet enough for me.), 25g flour, 20g corn starch. Mix well.
- Add pandan juice and 150ml coconut milk into the egg mixture. Also add in 1/4 tsp salt.
- Put cooked sticky rice into a 20cm greased steam pan . Press them firmly.
- Pour egg & pandan mixture into sauce pan. turn to low heat and simmer to let it thicken. I accidentally overheated it, that’s why my kueh looks ugly. 😦
- Pour the egg mixture over sticky rice. Cover it with aluminium foil and steam for 30 mins.
- Remove the foil and steam for another 5 mins.
- Cool down and cut into small pieces.
It’s very sticky and hard to cut clean. My ones look ugly but taste nice.
My husband also said they taste good. 🙂