When I was in high school, this honey bun was very popular. I remember that we needed to start our morning lesson at about 6:30 AM. We studied for about 1 hr by ourselves. Then at 7 AM, we had 1 hour to rest and have breakfast. Actually 1 hour isn’t enough for most of the students to finish their breakfast before 8 AM, since there were so many lining in the school canteen. So to save more time, some students chose to buy bread in the store instead, which is very convenient. My friends and I usually bought this honey buns. The best part is the crispy honey and sesame bottom layer.
bread flour 200g
vegetable oil 10g
yeast 2 g
salt 1 pinch
- Add yeast into warm milk. Stir a bit and let it rest for 2 mins.
- Beat egg into a big bowl. Add in sugar, honey, oil and salt. Mix well.
- Add flour into the egg honey mixture.
- Add in milk while stirring the flour.
- Knead everything into a dough. Keep kneading for about 20 mins.
- Put dough in a warm place. Let it rise 2 times big.
- Knead the dough and press the sir out. Cut it into 8 smaller dough balls.
- Cover the dough balls with plastic and let them rest for 5 mins.
- Flatten dough into oval shape. Roll from one end to another.
- Cut in the middle.
- In a small bowl, mix 1/2 tbsp flour, 1/2 tbsp sugar and 1/2 tbsp white sesame. Prepare a little water in another bowl.
- Dip the roll into the water first. then the white sesame with the cut side down.
- Brush baking pan with oil. Arrange them into the baking pan.
- Let them rise again till about 1.5 times big.
- preheat oven to 180 Degree C.
- bake for 15 mins.
- In a bowl, add in 1 tbsp water and 1 tsp honey.
- Brush honey water onto them. and bake for another 5 mins.
Look at my ugly buns. 🙂
The crispy white sesame bottom is exactly what I want.