My husband bought a pressure cooker as an early birthday gift for me. I couldn’t wait to try it and cook something.
The first dish came to my mind is beef rendang. It is like a type of dry curry and very popular in Southeastern Asia. My husband was very excited and couldn’t wait to try my beef rendang. Actually I have never tried this dish before. So I did a little research online and figured out the recipe and ingredients I need for the dish. This morning, I grab a bite and went to supermarket. I already listed out the ingredients I need. I searched for them according to the list.
These are almost all the ingredients, salt, oil and sugar are not shown in the picture.
- Put shallot, red chili, ginger, blue ginger (galangal), and garlic into a blender. Blend them into paste. This is the most complicated part during cooking. After paste is ready, the rest will be much easier.
- Heat a pan. Add in 1 tbsp oil. Drop all the paste in. Also add in 1/2 tsp turmeric powder, 1/2 tsp clove powder and 1 tsp salt. Stir fry till the paste turns brownish.
- Add in all the beef pieces. I cut it into one-bite size. stir fry till beef turns golden brown.
- Pour in 1 cup coconut milk, and 1 cup water. Stir a bit.
- Add in star anise, cinnamon stick, cardamom pods, lemon grass, a little tamarind paste and 1 tbsp sugar. Stir well.
- Transfer everything into pressure cooker. I pressed the meat button and it just cooked 15 mins. Beef turns very soft.
- Because I added water in, so after pressure cooker, I used normal pot to reduce the sauce on low heat. Stir occasionally.
- Add in some lime leaves to add more flavor. And reduce the sauce to very dry.
My husband said it tastes like the one served in restaurant. 🙂
And he finished the whole plate of it. 🙂
Perfect to go with rice.
2 thoughts on “Beef Rendang (Spicy Dry Beef Curry)”
Reblogged this on Savoir Vivre -> 活学活用.