It’s a famous dish in Indian cuisine. For the chicken, I used a half chicken. I removed the skin and bones before cutting it. Of course you can choose chicken thighs or chicken breast.
- Place chicken pieces in a bowl. Add in 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp paprika powder, 1 tsp garam masala, 1 tsp turmeric powder, 2 tsp garlic paste and 1 tsp chopped ginger. If you want it to be a little spicy, you can also add in spicy chili powder. Marinate for 15 mins.
- Saute marinate chicken in pan. Heat a pan. add in 1 tbsp oil. Put the chicken pieces in. Saute till chicken turn golden brown. Take the chicken out.
- Same pan. Add in 2 tsp extra oil. Add in 1/2 cup chopped onion. stir fry a bit.
- Cut in 1 tbsp butter. Sautee onion till aromatic.
- Add in 2 cups chopped tomato. Stir fry evenly with onion.
- Pour in 1 cup water. Season with salt, garam masala, paprika powder and sugar.
- Simmer with low heat for 15 mins.
- Transfer everything in pan into the blender. Blend till it becomes smooth paste.
- Pour the paste back into the pan. If the gravy is not thickened enough, turn to low heat and reduce it.
- Add the chicken in. Cut in 1 tbsp butter and add in 1 tbsp cream. Stir well. Simmer for another 10 mins.
- drizzle cream before serving.
It can be served with rice or prata or naan. Very nice. My husband finished the whole big plate of this chicken masala.