Last time, when my husband and I were in Bangkok, we tried butterfly pea tea there. We knew the tea from a Japanese animation show – Detective Conan. And my husband has been curious about it since then. Butterfly pea tea we tried in Bangkok was really nice. And my husband wanted to make it at home. Then he ordered dried butterfly pea flower from online shops.
This Tea’s original color is blue. If you add in some lemon juice, it will become purple. This special property makes it a good ingredient in colorful drinks.
1. In a sauce pan, pour in 11/2 cup water and 1/2 cup sugar. Bring boil and stir to let sugar dissolve.
2. Add in 1/4 cup dried butterfly pea flowers. Bring to boil. Then turn off the heat. Let it steep for 10 mins. Discard the flower. And cool down.
3. Mix 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice with 1 cup water in another container.
4. Crush the ice cubes a bit.
5. Fill glass with ice. Pour in butterfly pea tea till half full. Then gently pour in lemon juice mixture.
You will see the beautiful double layer drink.
Serve with a straw.
Top part is lemon juice, so it will be very sour. If you don’t have a straw, you’d better stir it before drinking.