This is a completely new vegetable to me. I have never heard about it, never seen it before.
This is how they look like:
It also has the name: four-angled beans and dragon beans.
They look kind of strange to me at the first sight. I was very curious whether those small leaves are edible or not. And if it is hollow or there are seeds inside.
I bought them last night, and couldn’t wait to cook them today.
I trimmed the two ends and cut them into slices.
They are kind of in star shape. And yes! There are seeds inside. Their smell is not pungent and a bit like long beans.
I decided to cook it in a way similar to how I cook French beans.
- heat 1 tsp oil in the pan. Add in 1 clove of chopped garlic and a little ginger shreds. Saute till aromatic.
- Add all the winged bean slices in. Stir fry for 1 min.
- Add in 1 tsp sweet cooking wine, and 1 tsp light soy sauce. Toss a bit.
- Add in 1 tablespoon water. Cover with lid and simmer for 2 mins.
- Toss a bit. Add in chopped red chili (mine is spicy type) and lid on for another minute.
- Season with salt and serve hot.
Beans are chewy and taste a bit sweet. I like them.
I was really worried that could I get food poisoning. But so far so good. No vomiting, no stomach ache, no diarrhea. 🙂
I’m so exiting that I knew new vegetable today and I cooked it!
One thought on “Winged Beans”