Normally, a whole chicken is used in this dish. But I only cooked a half one.
1. Put chicken in a big bowl. Add in 1 tablespoon minced ginger, 1 tablespoon minced garlic, 1 tsp salt, 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce. Rub chicken a bit. And let it rest for a little while.
2. Heat a pan, add in 1 tablespoon oil. Sauté ginger slices. When aromatic, put the chicken in. Fry each side till golden brown.
3. Add in 2 tablespoon light soy sauce, 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce, 2 cups water, 2 tablespoon sugar. Turn to high heat and bring to boil.
4. Turn to low-medium heat. Cover the lid, simmer for 5 mins. Flip over, and simmer for another 5 mins. Repeat for 5-6 times.
5. Dish the chicken out. Cool down and cut into smaller pieces. Garnish with chopped spring onion.