Two kinds of vermicelli are very popular in China’s northern part: vermicelli made from sweet potato and potato. And I used sweet potato type in this dish.
1. Cut pork (better with some fat) and bamboo shoot into medium chunks.
2. Boil a pot of water. Add in 1 tsp salt. Soak bamboo shoots in it for a little while. Then rinse under cold water and drain. Some people don’t like the sourish taste of bamboo shoots, so soaking in hot salty water will remove that. And bamboo shoot is very good for healthy. It contains abundant food fiber.
3. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in pan. Sear the pork and bring them to a little golden brown.
4. Add in bamboo shoots. Stir fry for like 2 mins. Drizzle a little Shao xing wine.
5. Then add in 1 tablespoon light soy sauce, 1/2 tablespoon dark soy sauce, 1 tablespoon sugar, ginger slices, star anise and bay leaf. Pour in enough hot water covers all ingredients. Bring to boil. Then turn to low heat. Cover with lid and simmer for 40 mins.
6. Add in vermicelli. Let them soak in meat juice. Simmer for 8-12 mins according to the instruction. Stir occasionally in case vermicelli stick together.
7. Season with salt if needed.