When I made an adventurous journey in my kitchen searching for cookies, I found a pack of rolled oats. Then I remembered I bought it to make chocolate chip cookies. Now there is still 1/3 left.
When I explored the fridge for any ready-to-eat food, I found some black currant jam left in the bottle. My husband bought it long time ago to spread on his bread. I checked the expiry date, still safe to eat. So I decided to make this oatmeal bar to consume both oats and black currant jam.
2 cups of oats
70g brown sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1. Place oats, sugar, flour, salt and baking soda in a big bowl. Mix them well.
2. Cut in butter. Make all ingredients into crumbs with ginger. This may take a little while.
3. Preheat oven to 180 degree C.
4. Press 2/3 crumbs into the baking pan very firmly.
5. Spread jam over it. Apart from jam, you can also choose peanut butter or Nutella.
6. Sprinkle the rest crumbs on top.
In to the oven, bake for 30-35 mins till golden brown.
Cool down and cut into squares.
You can put them in an airtight box and save for breakfast.
You can also add in chopped nuts. And reduced oats. And I cut down brown sugar so mine oatmeal bars are not very sweet. If you really like it to be more sweet, you can add more sugar.