My chicken is a small one around 800g, which is enough for two people’s serving. I think I mentioned before that my husband is a meat lover. I was pretty sure he’s gonna love this dish before I even started cooking it.
1. Remove chicken’s head and butt, of course. Cut the chest open with a sharp knife. Sprinkle salt all over the chicken on both sides. Rub a bit by hands.
2. For the marinade:
1 tablespoon cooking wine, 1 tablespoon light soy sauce, 1 tablespoon chopped garlic, 1/2 tablespoon chopped ginger, 1/2 tablespoon sugar, 1/2 tablespoon hoisin sauce ( you may find out that my recipe is pretty Chinese style).
3. Poke chicken several times with a toothpick. Then put it in a bag. Pour all the marinade in. Give the chicken a good massage. Put into refrigerator for overnight. Trust me, the flavor will definitely go in.
4. Preheat oven to 180 degree C. Prepare potatoes. Wash them clean and pat with kitchen towel till dry. Cut into halves. ( if potatoes are kind of medium size, better cut into fours). Sprinkle salt, paprika powder and olive oil. Toss a a bit.
5. Take the chicken out. Wipe chicken skin with kitchen towel. I even used a hair dryer to make sure skin is very dry. How insane I am! Better fix the chicken like the posture in the pic below. You can use toothpick like I did.
6. Spread butter onto the chicken skin. I’m very generous with butter.
7. Place chicken in a baking tray with skin side up. Scatter potatoes around it. Potatoes better not under chicken. I found pieces under chicken were still a bit hard and raw.
8. Into the oven for 30 mins. Then turn to 200 degree C and roast for another 10 mins to get the skin crispier. Incredible smell will fill up your kitchen.
Just as I expected, my husband really really loved it.