- Cut chicken wings 2 times on both sides.
- Sprinkle salt, black pepper, paprika powder, ground ginger and ground garlic (or garlic paste) over chicken wings. Mix by hands evenly and let them marinate for 2-3 hours.
- In a bowl, add in flour and starch, ration should be flour: starch = 5:1. Also add salt, black pepper to taste. To add more flavor to the chicken, I add in mixed herbs. You can just add in the herbs you like.
- Prepare a bowl of water.
- Roll chicken wing in the flour mixture first. Then dip in water quickly and roll in flour mixture again. Shake off the excessive.
- Heat oil. Test the temperate with chopsticks. If there are many bubbles around the chopsticks, the oil’s temperature is ok.
- Deep fry chicken wings till the flour shell is very hard. Then turn up the heat a bit. Fry chicken wings for the second time to get gold brown color and also to make them crispier.
- Wash and clean squid.
- Cut squid into rings or smaller pieces.
- In a bowl, add in 1 cup flour, 1/2 tsp baking powder. Season with salt and black pepper. And to add more flavor, I also added in 1 tsp dried mixed herbs. Mix them well.
- Heat oil in the pan.
- Dip squid in flour mixture and shake off the excessive.
- Deep fry till golden brown.
- I also cut lemon slices and parsley. Also roll them in flour mixture and fry.
My husband loved it very much.
This kind of small prawn is not very often seen in the supermarket. But it’s very commonly seen in my hometown. I remember that my mom always cook it for us just by simply deep frying them.
- Wash prawns clean in water. Dry them a bit with kitchen towel. No need to make them completely dry.
- Season with a little cooking wine, salt and black pepper. Marinate for 20 mins.
- Sprinkle flour over them to get them coated with thin flour layer.
- Deep fry them till golden brown.
Very crispy and delicious!
Prepare a big square pork belly.
1. Put pork belly in a deep pot. Add in enough water. Heat on the stove. Bring to boil for 5 mins.
2. Take the pork out. Wash it under water to rinse it clean and drain.
3. Use toothpicks to poke the pork skin several times.
4. In a bowl, mix 1 tsp Chinese cooking wine, 1 tsp light soy sauce, 1 tsp sugar, 1 tsp five spice powder. Brush marinade onto the meat be careful not to brush the skin.
5. Use foil to make a square box and put pour the marinade into it. Place the pork belly in it with the skin side up.
6. In another bowl mix 1 tsp white vinegar, 1 tsp salt and a little baking powder. Brush it on the skin. Leave it for 30 mins.
7. Preheat oven to 200 degree C.
8. Sprinkle salt over the surface to make a thick salt layer.
9. Put into oven and bake for 40 mins.
10. Remove the salt layer. Turn to the highest heat. Poke the skin again. Bake for another 20-30 mins. Till the skin turns golden and hard.
Cool know and use a sharp knife to cut it. The skin is very hard and crispy too. I didn’t make it to cut it nicely. 😦
Even though I almost cook everyday at home, and my husband is satisfied with my food, he still needs to have fast food like KFC or McDonald occasionally. Part of him is really crazy about fast food. That’s also why I cook fried chicken once in a while. One day, I asked my husband if there is any food he wanted to have, he’s like “can you cook chicken nuggets for me?” with his small eyes wide open. I’ve never disappointed him in cooking so far. So my answer is “yes”. And I am gonna cook chicken nuggets for the first time.
- I used chicken breast as main ingredient. Cut a whole chicken breast into small chunks (one-bite size).
- Prepare a bowl. Add in 1 cup bread crumbs, 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp black pepper, 1 tsp paprika powder, 1/2 tsp ginger powder, 1/2 tsp garlic powder and 1 tsp dried oregano. Mix them well.
- Beat 1 egg in another bowl. Also prepare some flour.
- Dip chicken in flour first. Shake off the excessive. Then egg and seasoned bread crumbs at last.
- Deep fry chicken till golden brown and crispy.
Out layer is crispy and full of seasoning flavor.
Meat inside is very tender and juicy.
And of course, my husband loved them.
Hmmm. I am crazy addicted to mushroom. Mushroom is a must-have thing in my fridge. My husband likes them too, but definitely not as crazy as I do. Fried mushroom is a dish he likes very much. Yet, he only had them in restaurant and usually a small portion of fried mushroom will cost S$ 6+. If cooked at home, this dish is much cheaper.
And last time, when I cooked fried chicken followed YouTube’s NO 1 video, there was some flour and sauce left. I try to avoid wasting any ingredient in my kitchen. Fried mushroom came to my head. That sounds a good idea. So i used left ingredients to make this dish.
Ingredients I used is the leftover of fried chicken. You can please check my previous blog:
1. Beat 1 egg in a bowl, add in 3 tablespoon water and 1/3 cup chili sauce.
2. Add in 1/2 cup flour, 1 tsp black pepper, 1 tsp paprika powder, 1 tsp salt and 1 tsp garlic powder. Mix them well till smooth and no flour lumps.
3. Cut mushrooms into halves. Here I used Shiitake mushroom.
4. Dip mushroom in the batter first, then roll in bread crumbs. Shake off the excessive.
5. Deep fry till golden brown.
They are really crispy and tasty. You can serve it with mayonnaise.
My chicken is a small one around 800g, which is enough for two people’s serving. I think I mentioned before that my husband is a meat lover. I was pretty sure he’s gonna love this dish before I even started cooking it.
1. Remove chicken’s head and butt, of course. Cut the chest open with a sharp knife. Sprinkle salt all over the chicken on both sides. Rub a bit by hands.
2. For the marinade:
1 tablespoon cooking wine, 1 tablespoon light soy sauce, 1 tablespoon chopped garlic, 1/2 tablespoon chopped ginger, 1/2 tablespoon sugar, 1/2 tablespoon hoisin sauce ( you may find out that my recipe is pretty Chinese style).
3. Poke chicken several times with a toothpick. Then put it in a bag. Pour all the marinade in. Give the chicken a good massage. Put into refrigerator for overnight. Trust me, the flavor will definitely go in.
4. Preheat oven to 180 degree C. Prepare potatoes. Wash them clean and pat with kitchen towel till dry. Cut into halves. ( if potatoes are kind of medium size, better cut into fours). Sprinkle salt, paprika powder and olive oil. Toss a a bit.
5. Take the chicken out. Wipe chicken skin with kitchen towel. I even used a hair dryer to make sure skin is very dry. How insane I am! Better fix the chicken like the posture in the pic below. You can use toothpick like I did.
6. Spread butter onto the chicken skin. I’m very generous with butter.
7. Place chicken in a baking tray with skin side up. Scatter potatoes around it. Potatoes better not under chicken. I found pieces under chicken were still a bit hard and raw.
8. Into the oven for 30 mins. Then turn to 200 degree C and roast for another 10 mins to get the skin crispier. Incredible smell will fill up your kitchen.
Just as I expected, my husband really really loved it.
1. Cut one whole chicken breast into two halves. Thinner chicken can be cooked easily. Sprinkle salt and black pepper on both sides of the chicken.
2. In a bowl, add in 1 cup flour, 4 tablespoon bread crumbs, a little salt, black pepper and mixed herbs.
3. Prepare 1 egg, and 3/4 cup milk in another bowl. Mix them well.
4. Dip chicken in flour mixture, then egg and flour at last. Shake off the excess.
Preheat oven to 220 degree C.
5. Melt 30g butter in skillet. Place chicken in side. Into the oven for 10 mins.
6. Flip over and bake for another 10 mins.
1. Prepare two chicken thighs. Discard the fat.
2. In a big bowl, add in 1/2 cup flour, 2 tbs bread crumbs, 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp black pepper and 1 tsp mixed herbs. Mix them well.
3. In another bowl, beat in 1 small egg and pour in 50 ml milk. Stir well.
4. Coat chicken thigh with flour first, then dip in egg and coat with flour again.
5. Heat a pan. Add in 2 tbs butter. When butter melts, put chicken thighs in. Fry each side till golden brown.
6. Preheat oven to 210 degree C. Bake chicken thighs for 15 mins. Flip over and bake for another 10 mins.
I cleaned crab according to this YouTube vedio:
1. Wipe the crabs with kitchen towel.
2. In a bowl add in 1/4 cup milk and half of a small beaten egg. Mix them well.
3. In a platter, add in 1/2 cup flour, 1 tsp salt and 1 tsp black pepper. Mix them well too.
4. Dip crab in flour mixture first, then milk mixture and last flour mixture again. Shake off the excess.
5. Heat some oil in the pan. I shallow fried them instead of deep frying. When the oil becomes very hot, put flour-coated crabs in. Fry each side till golden brown. Actually, I fried them till dark golden brown so that they can be very crispy.
My husband loves it. He said it’s almost same as he had in restaurant.