My husband has been asking me to cook fried soft shell crab for him for a long time. We finally bought some frozen soft shell crabs from a fish market.
I cleaned crab according to this YouTube vedio:
1. Wipe the crabs with kitchen towel.
2. In a bowl add in 1/4 cup milk and half of a small beaten egg. Mix them well.
3. In a platter, add in 1/2 cup flour, 1 tsp salt and 1 tsp black pepper. Mix them well too.
4. Dip crab in flour mixture first, then milk mixture and last flour mixture again. Shake off the excess.
5. Heat some oil in the pan. I shallow fried them instead of deep frying. When the oil becomes very hot, put flour-coated crabs in. Fry each side till golden brown. Actually, I fried them till dark golden brown so that they can be very crispy.
Serve with lemon wedges.
My husband loves it. He said it’s almost same as he had in restaurant.
My husband always keeps talking about soft shell crab. So we bought two packs the other day. And I planned to cook them today. Yet, when they were thawed, I found they were not whole crabs as we expected. Shell was removed and crab meat was tore apart. So I decided to change my recipe and cook fried breaded crab cake instead.
1. Sprinkle some salt and black pepper over crab meat. Mix them evenly.
2. In a bowl, pour in 1/4 cup water, 1/2 cup milk and beat in one egg. Mix them well.
3. In another bowl, add in 1 cup bread crumbs and 1 1/2 tsp thyme. Mix them well too.
4. Heat skillet on stove. Pour in enough oil.
5. Make crab meat into small or medium balls. Dust them with flour. Then dip in milk egg mixture. Dust with flour again. Dip in milk egg mixture again. Roll in bread crumbs at last.
6. Fry in oil till golden brown.
Serve hot with mayonnaise or salad cream.
Crispy outside, and very tender inside. Yummy!