- Prepare 2 baby Chinese cabbage. Wash them and cut off the root. Then cut into quarters. Arrange them in a plate.
- Chop 4 garlic cloves. Soak glass noodles in water till soft and drain them. Cut a bit, if you don’t want them to be too long. Soak dry shiitake mushroom in water. Then chop mushroom into dices.
- Heat a pan. Add in 2 tbsp oil. Fry garlic till aromatic with low heat. Add in mushroom and fry a bit.
- Add in 1/2 1 tsp light soy sauce, 1 tsp oyster sauce, 1 tsp sugar and 1/2 tsp salt. Mix well. Add in 1 tbsp mushroom water.
- Turn off the heat. Put glass noodles into the sauce. Toss a bit to let noodles completely mix with sauce.
- Place glass noodles over cabbage and pour all the sauce over the top.
- Steam over boiling water for 10 mins.
I have never had Qing Long Cai before I came to Singapore. It looks like leek, and tastes also like leek. It’s a good match with bean sprout.
- Prepare all the vegetables. Wash them clean and drain. Cut Qing Long Cai before stir frying it.
- Heat a pan. Add in 1 tsp oil.
- Sautee chopped garlic till aromatic.
- Add in bean sprout first. Stir fry for 2 mins or till they got half done.
- Add in Qing long cai. Stir fry evenly for about 3 mins. Qing long cai will turn darker in color.
- Add in 1 tsp light soy sauce, 1/2 tsp oyster sauce, 1/2 tsp salt.
- Toss evenly and ready to serve.
My husband and I got this poodle Charlie last month. Ever since this little cutie came to our house, our life completely changed.
I feel so lucky to have such a little playful buddy as our family member.
Most time, Charlie has dog food which was bought from pet store. But sometimes, especially on some big occasion, I will cook for him.
Actually, cooking for dog is much easier than cooking for human, as there is no need to season or to make different flavor. Home cooked dog food has a very simple rule – boil.
Ingredients I use are always chicken breast, potato and carrot. Charlie is only 3 kg now. He was 1.5 kg when he first came. So Charlie has very little appetite. He can’t eat too much.
The very simple way to deal with ingredients is to chop everything into small dices. You can choose 1 vegetable and 1 meat. For example. I always chop chicken breast (about half of my palm size), 1/4 of a medium potato, or 1/4 of a medium carrot. You can adjust the ratio. Put them into a bowl, add in enough water covers everything. Bring to boil, then turn to low heat and simmer for 15 mins or till they are completely cooked.
There are 2 ways I used to cook for Charlie.
- Cook meat & vegetable and rice separately. Cos most time, I also need to cook for me and my husband. So Charlie’s meat & vegetable will be cooked in a small pot. After they are done, I will just add in 1-2 tbsp cooked rice from rice cooker. Mix them well. Cool down and give it to him.
2. Cook meat, vegetable and rice together. This way is much simpler. You just need to put everything into rice cooker. I usually cook 2 meals at one time for him. Then I can save the rest and keep in fridge. He will enjoy for the next meal. Food cooked this way is nicer since it will give rice more flavor.
Charlie obviously like cooked food much more than dog food. He’s often distracted by the sound while he’s having dog food. He needs to go and check. But when he’s having home cooked food, he’s more concentrated and cannot wait to finish them all.
- Prepare cucumbers (mine about 250g). I used regular ones, you can also choose mini cucumber. Wash them clean. Trim two ends and cut into halves.
- Let them dry with flowing air till the surface is dry.
- In a sauce pan, add in 1/4 cup light soy sauce, vinegar 2 tbsp, sugar 1 tbsp.
- Bring to boil. Add in cucumber and boil for about 30 sec.
- Take cucumber out to cool down. Also let the marinade cool down.
- Arrange cucumber in an air-tight container. Pour in marinade.
- Put into fridge.
After 2 days, the flavor will go in.
Perfect choice for white porridge.
- Prepare a big eggplant. Cut into pieces. Put them in a big bowl. Sprinkle salt over them and leave it there for about 15 mins. Water will come out. Squeeze eggplants to get all the water out. This step will make eggplant absorb less oil.
- Add oil, a bit more than usual into the pan. Fry eggplants till the edges turn golden brown. Take them out and set aside for later use.
- Heat the pan again. Add in 2 cloves chopped garlic. Stir fry till aromatic.
- Add in chicken bites, you can also choose minced pork or beef.
- Stir fry till chicken turns slightly golden brown.
- Add in 2 tbsp sambal chili sauce. Stir fry evenly.
- Add fried eggplants. Season with 1 tsp fish sauce and 1/2 tsp white pepper.
- Simmer for 3 mins.
- Garnish with chopped spring onion.
I used 4 eggs and 1 small ripe avocado in this recipe. You can adjust it according to your preference, use more eggs, less avocado or less eggs and more avocado.
- Boil eggs till they are hard boiled.
- Cut each eggs into halves. Gently scoop out the egg yolk.
- Put egg yolk and avocado in a bowl, mash them with a fork. Ripe avocado will make it a lot easier. I just mash them coarsely, so there is still avocado chunks in it.
- Season with salt and black pepper.
- Squeeze in 1/2 lime juice, 1/2 tbsp mayonnaise.
- Mix well till fully combined.
- Scoop egg yolk & avocado mixture with a spoon and put into the egg white.
- You can sprinkle some more black pepper or smoke paprika powder.
They are super easy to make and healthy too.
- Soak glass noodles in water till softened and drain them. Prepare sauce: 1tbsp light soy sauce, 1/2 tbsp dark soy sauce, 1/2 tbsp oyster sauce, 1/2 tbsp black pepper, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/2 tbsp sugar. Mix them well in a bowl.
- Clean and trim prawns. Marinate them with cooking wine, salt and pepper.
- Heat a pan, Add in a little oil. Fry prawns till red on both sides.
- Take the prawns out and heat the same pan (no need to wash).
- Saute chopped garlic and ginger till aromatic. Add in chopped shiitake mushroom (optional) and stir fry for 2 mins.
- Add in glass noodles. Also pour in sauce. Use chopsticks to stir glass noodles to let them be coated with sauce.
- Pour in 1/4 cup stock. Turn to low heat and lid on. Simmer for 5 mins. Add more stock if it gets dry.
- Add the prawns and red chili shreds in. Mix well. Maybe a little more stock and lid on for another 3 mins.
- Lid off. Stir with chopsticks evenly.
Garnish with green onion.
I seldom buy local celery, which is the thin type. But I think this stir-fry is a good way to cook local celery.
- Cut celery and bacon into small bits.
- Heat a little oil in the pan. Sear bacon bits first.
- When bacon turns a little brownish, add in celery. Stir fry for 1 minute.
- Drizzle in 1/2 tsp light soy sauce and also add in 1/2 tsp sugar to taste.
- If you want it to be a little spicy, you can add in chopped chili.
- Quickly stir fry for another 2 minutes.
- Season with salt.
I love green and crunchy long beans. And it’s a very simple dish to cook.
- Wash long beans clean. Cut into medium strips.
- Boil a pot of hot water. Add in 1 pinch salt and several drops of oil. Add long beans in and boil for 4 mins to make sure they are completely cooked. Then soak them in cold water and drain them.
- Heat a pan. Add in 1 tsp oil. When oil is hot, saute chopped 2 or 3 cloves of garlic and 1 red chili till aromatic.
- Add long beans in. Stir fry for 1 min.
- Add in 1/2 tsp light soy sauce and 1/2 tsp oyster sauce. Quickly stir fry evenly.
- Season with salt.
You can choose not to add chili if you don’t want it to be spicy at all.
This cooking method can also be used to stir fry lady fingers.
I never know dried seaweed can be used to cook fried rice until last summer My husband and I went to visit my friends in XiaMen. My friends invited us to a special dinner in a private place. And a special dish was served, which is seaweed fried rice. It’s the first time my husband and I tried that dish. We loved it.
This dish is not difficult to cook.
dried seaweed (cut into small chips with scissors)
chopped spring onion
chopped 2 cloves of garlic
dice of 1/2 chopped carrot
- Drizzle a little oil into the rice to separate the rice grains.
- Heat a little oil in the pan. Fry dried seaweed with low heat for 1 min. Then dish them out and leave the oil.
- Saute garlic till aromatic with the same pan. Add in the carrot dices. stir fry for 2 mins.
- Add in rice. Toss all ingredients evenly.
- Add in fried seaweed. Stir fry evenly for another 1 minute.
- Season with salt.
Both my husband and I love it.