- Cut 5 or 6 strips bacon into small pieces.
- Heat a pan, add in 1 tsp oil. Sear the bacon. At the same time, cook pasta.
- Sear bacon with low heat. There will be much fat in the pan. Pour the excess, only keep a little.
- In a bowl, mix 2 eggs with 50g parmesan cheese and 20g mozzarella cheese.
- Add cooked pasta into the pan and mix with bacon. Also add in 1/3 cup pasta water.
- Keep low heat. Add egg cheese mixture into pan.
- Mix everything together. Season with black pepper and salt if needed.
I finally tried this recipe. I still remember there is a scene in the movie Julie & Julia. Julie went to buy beef for this dish. She said ” Beef Bourguignon. Julia Child’s beef bourguignon.”
- Cut beef into chunks and set aside.
- Cut 3 strips bacon. Boil them and drain. Saute in the pan with 1 tbsp oil till a bit brownish. Set bacon aside.
- Same pan. Use the bacon fat to saute beef. Wipe beef with kitchen towel and make sure they are very dry before putting into the pan. Saute each side nicely golden brown. Then set beef aside.
- Prepare 1 white onion, and 2 carrots. Saute in the same pan till brownish on the edge.
- Preheat oven to 220 Degree C. If you have casserole, place beef in it. Season fried beef with salt and black pepper. Sprinkle in 1 tbsp flour. Give it a good mix.
- Beef into the oven for 5 mins. Then toss a bit and into the oven for another 5 mins.
- Heat the pan used to fry beef. Pour in 2 cups red wine. Stir a bit and bring to boil.
- Transfer everything into the casserole, including beef, bacon, sauteed vegetables, and 2 cups beef stock. Also add in 1 tbsp tomato paste, 2 bayleaves, 1 tbs thyme, 2 clove garlic paste.
- If you have a casserole, just put everything in it. And into the 160 Degree C oven for 2.5-3 hrs. But I don’t have one. I use my pressure cooker and slow cook in low temperate.
- Prepare sauteed mushroom. Cut mushroom into quarters. Heat a pan. Cut in 2 tbsp butter. When butter in hot, add mushroom in. Toss and stir fry for 3 mins. Season with salt and pepper. Also sprinkle a little thyme. Juice will come out. Simmer in low heat for 5 mins. Julia Child used pearl white onion too, which I could’t find in the supermarket. So I neglected that step.
- When beef is done, sieve it to separate the sauce and rest ingredients. Simmer sauce in sauce pan to thicken it.
- Serve the beef with hot mashed potato. Don’t forget to add in sauteed mushroom and drizzle the sauce.
I seldom buy local celery, which is the thin type. But I think this stir-fry is a good way to cook local celery.
- Cut celery and bacon into small bits.
- Heat a little oil in the pan. Sear bacon bits first.
- When bacon turns a little brownish, add in celery. Stir fry for 1 minute.
- Drizzle in 1/2 tsp light soy sauce and also add in 1/2 tsp sugar to taste.
- If you want it to be a little spicy, you can add in chopped chili.
- Quickly stir fry for another 2 minutes.
- Season with salt.
Before anything. Yeah! That’s a whole potato in the soup.
It’s a rally light and simple soup. And of course, it’s also healthy. Even my husband, a 100% meat lover, falls for this soup.
Ingredients (serving for 2)
potatoes 2 (peeled)
carrot 1 (cut into thick strips)
onion 1 (cut into quarters)
1/4 head of cabbage
celery 2 stalks
bacon 5 or 6 slices
stock 1 cup
water 2 cups
- Place peeled potatoes, carrot strips and onion quarters into a pot.
- Add in water and stock. (You can adjust water and stock according to your preference. You can even use all water or all stock). Also add in 1 pinch salt and 1 dash black pepper. Turn to high heat. Bring to boil. Turn to low heat. Lid on and simmer for 15-20 mins.
- Put celery strips, bacon slices and cabbage into the pot. Same procedure. Bring to boil with high heat and simmer with low heat for 25 mins.
- Season with salt and pepper.
It can be served with baguette or any bread you like.
Even though no sugar is added to this soup, it still tastes a bit sweet. I cooked this soup on my husband’s birthday. And served it with garlic bread. He really loved it.
Last time, when my sister and her boyfriend came to visit us, we went an Italian restaurant for dinner. The restaurant name is Saizeriya. The restaurant claims to serve fusion food of Japanese and Italian. Its rating is 4.7, which is very high on Google and many comments are positive. And the price is very reasonable and affordable. The most important thing is food there is very nice. We tried its pizza, spaghetti, soup, escargot, and ravioli. All are very nice.
There is one special pizza, Bismarck pizza. We tried it for the first time. Pizza looks not very hard to make, since I can tell the main ingredients are pizza dough, cheese, bacon, spinach and egg. Yes! An egg in the middle, that’s why it’s special and also why my husband loves it. Egg is the key part. Although I don’t know exactly how to cook it, I tried to copy the one we had in the restaurant today.
For the pizza dough:
Preheat oven to 200 degree.
I made it in a very simple way. Brush pizza dough with a little tomato sauce. Then sprinkle mozzarella cheese. ( I just tore the mozzarella ball with my hand.)
Cut 2 strips streaky bacon and spread them over pizza dough and make a circle in the middle. That’s the spot where I crack an egg. Sprinkle a little black pepper on the top.
Into the oven for 13-15 mins.
While pizza was baking. I bleach several stalks of spinach in water for 30 seconds. Then soaked them in cold water. Squeeze them very hard to let the water out.
In the last 3 mins, spread cooked spinach over the pizza.
And the Bismarck pizza is done with a beautiful egg in the middle.
My husband loves it.
This dish just came to me when I searched fridge trying to figure out what to cook for lunch. I happened to see bacon and asparagus, and they were waving hands to me. So I decided to eat them.
1. Wash asparagus under water. Remove the bottom. Peel the skin near bottom off.
2. Bleach in boiling water for 3 mins. Don’t forget to add in a little salt in the boiling water.
3. Place asparagus in cold water then drain them.
4. Roll asparagus in a piece of streaky bacon from one end to the other. Roll it tight or it will loose while frying.
5. Heat a pan, add in 1 tablespoon oil. Fry bacon roll with medium or low heat. Roll it to let it be fried evenly.
6. When bacon turns beautifully lightly brown, sprinkle in black pepper.
A very nice and easy soup.
1. Wash clams clean in water.
2. Place clams in a pot. Add in ginger slices and a little salt and water. Boil till all the shells open. Skim the stock. Take all the clams out in a bowl. And set stock aside.
3. Cut bacon into small pieces. Heat a pan. Stir fry bacon till aromatic.
4. Pour the stock in. Bring boil.
5. Add in tofu chunks. Boil for 3-5 mins, depending on the size of tofu.
6. Add the clams in. Bring to boil again. Season with salt.
Top with chopped spring onion.
My husband is a crazy egg lover. He likes onsen tamago, half-boiled egg, scrambled egg, hard-boiled egg…… I can’t really tell which egg he doesn’t like. So I assume he likes this Benedict egg too.
1. Prepare a big and deep pot. Add in enough water, which must be higher than egg in height. Turn to high heat and bring water to boil.
2. Once water is boiled, turn off the heat. Crack an egg in. Don’t stir, don’t move anything. Let the egg hold together. You can also add in 1 or 2 drops of vinegar or lemon juice before add in egg, which can help egg to settle better.
3. When the egg white stops being translucent, turn on the lowest heat. When the white film shows up over egg yolk, remove the pot from the heat. If you want your egg to be less raw, you can keep it there for a little longer. Otherwise, you can carefully scoop it out.
4. Melt 1 tablespoon butter in pan. Add in 2 egg yolks. Cream them together. Add in a little black pepper and 1 tablespoon water or wine if you have. Stir to make all ingredients egg yolk sauce.
5. Heat a pan. Fry bacon till crispy. Use the same pan to fry bread. I only have regular bread left in my home. So I have no choice.
6. Bread at the bottom, then place bacon. Egg on bacon and egg yolk sauce over egg. Garnish with chopped spring onion.
Oh, my husband loved it very very much. It’s very satisfying when poke the running egg yolk.
1. Fry bacon. When the bacon is done, take them out. There will be some oil left, use the same pan to fry mushroom.
2. Also add in some chopped garlic, sauté with mushroom till brownish.
3. Add in 3 tablespoon pasta stock. Simmer for 2-3 mins.
4. Pour in 1/2 cup milk. Sprinkle shredded cheese. Stir a bit to let cheese melt.
5. Season with salt and black pepper.
6. Add in cooked pasta. Give it a good mix.
7. Top with fried bacon.
1. Thaw scallops and wipe with kitchen towel till very dry.
2. Cut bacon into halves. Wrap the scallops with bacon and fix them with toothpick.
3. Heat a little oil in the pan. Fry scallops. Around 2 mins for each side.
4. Also fry the bacon at the edges.
5. Cut in 1 tablespoon butter. When butter melts, use a spoon to scoop butter over the scallops for about 2 mins.
Serve with fried asparagus.