I finally tried this recipe. I still remember there is a scene in the movie Julie & Julia. Julie went to buy beef for this dish. She said ” Beef Bourguignon. Julia Child’s beef bourguignon.”
- Cut beef into chunks and set aside.
- Cut 3 strips bacon. Boil them and drain. Saute in the pan with 1 tbsp oil till a bit brownish. Set bacon aside.
- Same pan. Use the bacon fat to saute beef. Wipe beef with kitchen towel and make sure they are very dry before putting into the pan. Saute each side nicely golden brown. Then set beef aside.
- Prepare 1 white onion, and 2 carrots. Saute in the same pan till brownish on the edge.
- Preheat oven to 220 Degree C. If you have casserole, place beef in it. Season fried beef with salt and black pepper. Sprinkle in 1 tbsp flour. Give it a good mix.
- Beef into the oven for 5 mins. Then toss a bit and into the oven for another 5 mins.
- Heat the pan used to fry beef. Pour in 2 cups red wine. Stir a bit and bring to boil.
- Transfer everything into the casserole, including beef, bacon, sauteed vegetables, and 2 cups beef stock. Also add in 1 tbsp tomato paste, 2 bayleaves, 1 tbs thyme, 2 clove garlic paste.
- If you have a casserole, just put everything in it. And into the 160 Degree C oven for 2.5-3 hrs. But I don’t have one. I use my pressure cooker and slow cook in low temperate.
- Prepare sauteed mushroom. Cut mushroom into quarters. Heat a pan. Cut in 2 tbsp butter. When butter in hot, add mushroom in. Toss and stir fry for 3 mins. Season with salt and pepper. Also sprinkle a little thyme. Juice will come out. Simmer in low heat for 5 mins. Julia Child used pearl white onion too, which I could’t find in the supermarket. So I neglected that step.
- When beef is done, sieve it to separate the sauce and rest ingredients. Simmer sauce in sauce pan to thicken it.
- Serve the beef with hot mashed potato. Don’t forget to add in sauteed mushroom and drizzle the sauce.