I made this soup with my homemade kimchi.
Soup is very simple.
- Heat a pot. Add in 1 tsp oil. Sear pork belly slices (about 50g) till slightly golden brown.
- Add in garlic slices (2 cloves) and onion slices (1/4) and stir fry till aromatic.
- Drop in 2 tbsp kimchi and 1 tbsp kimchi base. Stir fry evenly.
- Pour in 1 cup water. Bring to boil.
- Add in 1tsp light soy sauce, 1 tbsp Korean chili paste and 1 tsp sugar. Stir evenly and simmer for 5 mins.
- Put in tofu slices. Simmer for 3 mins.
- Sprinkle green onion and green chili.
Tofu about 100g
minced pork around 80g
- Cut tofu into slices. Firm tofu is a good choice, it will keep its shape during cooking.
- Fry tofu with some oil till both sides turn golden brown. Sprinkle a little salt while frying them. Set aside for later use.
- Heat the pan again. Add in 1 tsp oil. Saute chopped garlic, green onion and dried chili till aromatic.
- Add in minced pork, stir fry till pork turns white.
- Add in 1 tsp light soy sauce, 1/2 tsp oyster sauce, 1/4 tsp dark soy sauce and 1/2 tsp sugar. Quick toss to mix well.
- Pour in 1/3 cup water. Bring to boil.
- Add the fried tofu back, simmer for 2-3 mins.
- Pour in a little starch water. stir well.
- Add in chopped red chilli and spring onion. Stir fry for another minute.
- Cut egg tofu into slices about 1 cm thick.
- Roll tofu in potato starch.
- Heat a pan, add in oil. Fry tofu till the out layer becomes crispy and golden color. Then set them aside for later use.
- Heat the pan again. Add in 1/2 tsp oil. Saute 2 cloves of chopped garlic.
- Add in 1 tsp light soy sauce, 1/4 tsp dark soy sauce, 1 tsp oyster sauce and 1 tsp sugar. Stir evenly.
- Dissolve 1 tsp starch in 1 tbsp water and add into the sauce.
- Add tofu into the sauce. Reduce the sauce.
- Garnish with chopped spring onion.
The rule of my husband’s bento: there must be at least 1 meat dish.
This time, I tried pork.
- Prepare soup. Cos soup is time-consuming. I can let the soup on the stove while preparing other dishes. Wash ribs. Put them in a pot and add in enough water. Bring to boil. Skim the soup to remove all the dirt. Simmer for 30 mins. Add in carrot and corn. And simmer for another 20-30 mins.
- Pork belly in the pot. Enough water in and bring to boil. Take the pork belly out and wash clean. Cut into small chunks. Heat a pan. Add in a little oil. Sear the pork belly till brownish. Add in light soy sauce, dark soy sauce and sugar. Stir fry evenly. Add in enough hot water, also bay leaves and star anise. Lid on and simmer for about 20 mins. Lid off and reduce the sauce with high heat,
- I also cooked tofu & chicken pancake. 1/4 chicken breast (diced). 1/4 carrot (diced). Heat a pan. Add in 2 tsp oil, Stir fry chicken and carrot till chicken turns white in color. 100g silk tofu in the bowl. Mash it with a fork. Add in the fried chicken and carrot. Also add in some chopped green onion, 2 tbsp flour. Season with salt and black pepper. Mix well. Heat pan again. Brush it with oil. Scoop batter with a spoon and drop into pan to fry till both sides turn golden brown.
Pork is a perfect match with rice.
Soup is good. Corn adds sweet taste to it.
Oh, I also add in some fried bitter gourd rings. My husband finished everything.
This is a very simple appetizer.
Okra 2 stalk
silk tofu 1 small pack 100g
sweet cooking wine 1 tsp
light soy sauce 1 tsp
- Boil some water. Drizzle in 2 drops oil and 1/2 tsp salt. Boil okra for 4 mins.
- Cut okra into slices.
- Place silk tofu in a plate. Okra over tofu.
- Mix light soy sauce, sweet cooking wine and 1/4 tsp salt in a small bowl.
- Pour sauce over okra and tofu.
Very easy to make and refreshing for hot weather.
I’ve been having this soup since I was very little. There is a little difference between the soup in the southern and northern China. Usually, southerners like soup and they like the soup that cooked for hours. I know many northerners like my family don’t consume too much time cooking soup. So fast soup like this tomato & egg tofu is popular in north.
1 pack tofu (optional)
chopped spring onion
- Cut a cross at the bottom of tomatoes. Soak them in hot water for a little while. Then it can be peeled easily. Chop tomatoes into small cubes.
- Cut tofu into small pieces. Tofu is not a must-have ingredient in this soup. You can skip this step if you don’t have.
- Beat 1 egg into a bowl.
- Heat a pan. Drizzle in a little oil. Add in tomato pieces. Turn to low heat. Stir fry tomatoes till it turns very softened and mashed.
- Pour in 1/2 1 cup water. Also add in tofu if you have. Simmer for 5-8 mins.
- Dissolve 2 tsp starch in 1 tbsp water, and add into the soup. Stir well.
- Stir soup with a spoon and pour in beaten egg at the same time. cook for another 1 min to get egg done.
- Season with salt.
Garnish with spring onion and drizzle in sesame oil before serving.
Very simple and super fast.
This kind of thin tofu sheet is called Qianzhang （千张）in Chinese. Qianzhang literally means thousands of layers, which quite matches how it looks. I guess it’s not very popular in Singapore, cos when I first cooked it, my husband was very curious what it is. There are so many kinds of tofu products, qianzhang is just one of them.
This dish is vegan. Main ingredients are Qianzhang and spinach. It’s also very simple.
- Cut Qianzhang into medium strips. (The original one inside the package is a very big sheet). And separate them by tossing a bit. Also wash the spinach and trim off the root and cut into medium strips.
- Prepare chopped ginger and chopped garlic. If you want it to taste a bit spicy, then also prepare 2 dried red chili.
- Boil some water. Blanch Qianzhang in hot water for about 1 min. Then soak them in cold water and drain.
- Heat a pan, add in 1 tbsp oil. Saute chopped garlic, ginger and red chili first. When spices are aromatic, add Qianzhang in. Stir fry evenly for about 1 min.
- Add in spinach strips. Stir fry for another 2 mins or till spinach becomes soft and dark green.
- In with 2 tsp light soy sauce and 1 tsp sugar. Quickly stir fry evenly.
- Season with salt.
- Heat a little oil in the pan. Add in clam meat, and stir fry till aromatic.
- Pour in 2 cups of hot water. Also cut in tofu cubes. Water will become milky white in color.
- Bring soup to boil. And simmer for 3- 5 mins.
- Beat 1 egg in a bowl. Add egg into the soup. Bring to boil again.
- Season with salt.
You can serve with a drop of sesame oil and coriander or chopped spring onion.
My husband loves it.
In earlier days, transportation was not as convenient as how it is now. People in northern part of China didn’t have much choice about vegetables in winter. The most usually seen vegetables are potato, Chinese cabbage and turnip. They can be boiled, stewed, preserved and used to make soup. Pork stew together with these vegetables were very popular and so are they now. This hot dish is ideal for a cold winter.
1. Cut pork belly into smaller chunks. Put them into a pot. Add in enough water. Bring to boil with high heat. Take the pork out and rinse under water.
2. Heat a pan. Add in 2 tablespoon oil and 2 tablespoon sugar. Turn to low heat. Keep stirring to let let sugar melt first and then turn brown.
3. Add in pork. Stir fry and pork will also become brown. Add in spices: ginger, bay leaves, star anise, and dried chili. Stir fry till aromatic.
4. Pour in hot water about 2-3 cm higher than all ingredients. Cove the lid and simmer for 20 mins.
5. For the vegetables, I chose potatoes and puff tofu. Potatoes are peeled and cut into medium pieces. Place potatoes over pork and then tofu puff on the top. Those that hard to be cooked are always at the bottom layer. Cover with lid and simmer for another 25-30 mins.
6. Turn to high heat and reduce the sauce a bit. Then ready to serve.