I’ve been having this soup since I was very little. There is a little difference between the soup in the southern and northern China. Usually, southerners like soup and they like the soup that cooked for hours. I know many northerners like my family don’t consume too much time cooking soup. So fast soup like this tomato & egg tofu is popular in north.
1 pack tofu (optional)
chopped spring onion
- Cut a cross at the bottom of tomatoes. Soak them in hot water for a little while. Then it can be peeled easily. Chop tomatoes into small cubes.
- Cut tofu into small pieces. Tofu is not a must-have ingredient in this soup. You can skip this step if you don’t have.
- Beat 1 egg into a bowl.
- Heat a pan. Drizzle in a little oil. Add in tomato pieces. Turn to low heat. Stir fry tomatoes till it turns very softened and mashed.
- Pour in 1/2 1 cup water. Also add in tofu if you have. Simmer for 5-8 mins.
- Dissolve 2 tsp starch in 1 tbsp water, and add into the soup. Stir well.
- Stir soup with a spoon and pour in beaten egg at the same time. cook for another 1 min to get egg done.
- Season with salt.
Garnish with spring onion and drizzle in sesame oil before serving.
Very simple and super fast.