One time my aunt in China asked me and my husband to have lunch at her home. My aunt used to own a small restaurant and she was the chef there. So she can cook really delicious food. She cooked baby’s squid egg soup that day. My husband tried it and loved it immediately. Even after 2 years, he’s still thinking about that soup. I remembered I was helping around when my aunt was cooking. It’s a very simple soup but I couldn’t get it right.
This time, I tried a different way.
1. Clean baby squid. Cut into halves.
2. In a pot, boil 2 cups water. Put the squid in and boil for 2 mins. Take the squid out and keep the stock.
3. In another pan or pot, heat 1 tsp oil. Sauté a bit chopped ginger.
4. Add in the stock. Bring to boil.
5. Pour in 2 beaten eggs. Stir a bit.
6. Add in baby squid and dried seaweed. Bring to boil.
7. Season with salt and sprinkle chopped spring onion.
My husband likes it, even though it’s different from the way my aunt cooked.