My father-in-law gave us this half duck and spice pack for braised duck. I tried this dish today. It’s a bit time consuming but Duck turns out great.
1. Clean Duck. Prepare boiling water. Scald Duck with boiling water till the duck skin becomes very tight.
2. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a deep put. Add in 3 tablespoon brown sugar and 2 tablespoon sugar. Stir till caramelized. Sauté ginger slices and garlic cloves till aromatic.
3. Add in duck, pour in enough hot water covers duck. Add in spice pack, 1/2 cup dark soy sauce and 1/2 cup light soy sauce. Bring to boil.
4. Have a taste of soup, add in sugar and salt to season.
5. Turn to medium low heat. Cover with lid and braise for 1.5 hrs.
6. Take the duck out. Cool down.
7. Put hard boiled egg and hard tofu into braising pot. Simmer for 30 mins.
8. Cut duck into slices or chunks like I did. Place them in a plate, sided with egg and tofu.
9. Pour 1 cup braising stock into sauce pan. Add in 1 tablespoon oyster sauce and Corn starch water. Reduce to condensed sauce. Pour over duck slices.