1. Prepare fillings:
Minced chicken 100g (u can also use minced pork or beef)
1/2 diced onion
2-3 chopped Shiitake mushroom (optional)
Salt and pepper
Mix all the ingredients well in a bowl.
2. Prepare 6 -8 cabbage leaves.
3. Soak cabbage leaves in hot water till softened.
4. One roll needs 2 cabbage leaves. Place 1 cabbage leaf on the table. Put a spoonful filling at one end. Then roll to the other end. Put the roll on one end of another cabbage and roll again. I made 3 big rolls with 6 cabbage leaves. You can also make it into 4 small ones.
5. For the sauce, I made from fresh tomato. You can also use canned tomato chunks.
Cut a cross at the bottom of tomato (2 medium ones). Soak in hot water for a little while. Peel them off. Chop into small chunks.
6. Heat a pan or a pot. Add in a little oil. Sauté 2 chopped garlic. Add the tomato in. Sprinkle a little salt. Stir fry till softened and juice comes out. Add in 1 tablespoon tomato sauce and 1/2 tablespoon sugar to balance the sour taste. Also add in a little dried oregano or herbs you like.
7. Pour in 1/4 cup water. Stir well.
8. Place cabbage rolls in. Turn to low heat. Cover the lid. Simmer for 10 mins.
9. Flip the rolls over. And simmer for another 5-8 mins.
10. Season with salt and pepper.
I think it will go well with pasta.