It just came to me that there was still a piece of beef fillet in my fridge last night, so I decided to cook beef wellington today.
beef, chopped shiitake mushroom & carrot (of course you can use the help of a blender), puff crust, salt, and pepper.
1, Sprinkle salt and pepper over the fillet. Rub a bit with hands.
2, Heat a pan, add in some oil. Fry beef fillet till each side turns brownish.
3, Beef fillet in a plate and rest for a while. Use the same pan to fry mushroom and carrot. When the juice comes out, drizzle in a little red wine. (I just want to add a little flavor, if you don’t have red wine, you can just skip this step.) Add in a little dried thyme. Turn to low heat and simmer for a little while. Season with salt.
4. Many chiefs cook beef wellington use ham. Yet, I don’t have . So I just go with my no-ham version. Place a piece of plastic wrap on the table. Pastry crust on it. (I just don’t have crust, so I use Roti Prata instead. Because I tried to use Roti Prata pasty in Apple pie before, and it turned out great. So Roti Prata is always a good replacement of pastry crust to me.)
5. Spread mushroom and carrot on the pastry evenly. Beef in the middle. Roll one end of pastry to the other gently. Tuck in the two sides. Twist a bit with the help of plastic wrap. In the fridge for 30 mins.
6. Preheat oven to 200 degree C.
7. Egg wash the pastry. Cut several lines or any pattern you like.
8. Into the oven for 20-25 mins or till the pastry turns golden color.
Cut it with a very sharp knife. Because the crust is really easily broken. A sharp knife will do a better job. Or you may get your beef wellington just like mine. 😦
Very fragile out layer. But the taste is super.