My husband likes 100 seconds yellow croaker fish soup of Putien restaurant very much. The soup’s name 百秒黄花鱼 literally means cook yellow croaker fish for only 100 seconds. The soup is very nice and tasty.
We happened to see fresh yellow croaker sold in supermarket and we bough 2 of them. It’s very rare to see fresh yellow croacker here.
I tried to cook this soup, but I didn’t dare to cook fish for just 100 seconds since my fish looks much bigger. I worried 100 seconds is not long enough to cook fish thoroughly. So I decided to cook it for 3 mins.
- Cut fish open at the belly and make it look like a stingray. sprinkle a little salt all over the fish. Place fish in a big bowl, drizzle in cooking wine and several ginger slices. Marinate for about 20 mins.
- Prepare a big and deep pot or a wok. Add in 1 cup water, white part of 1 stalk spring onion, 2 ginger slices, 1/2 tsp salt and 1 pinch sugar. Bring to boil for 2 or 3 mins.
- Gently put the fish in. Cover the lid for 3 mins. To make sure fish is fully cooker, I let the lid on for another 30 seconds after 3 mins.
- Garnish with the rest spring onion green part.
I have to say it’s definitely not as good as Putien restaurant.
Fish is cooked for sure.
My husband still thinks it’s very nice though.
One thought on “Yellow Croaker Fish (Huang Hua 黄花鱼) Soup”
Some secret ingredients missing to enhance the fragrance:
1. 五花肉提香 Pork belly slices
2. 醋（多些）去腥，提鲜 Vinegar
3. 香料加味入汤汁：灯笼椒 Peppers, 芫茜几串 Cilantro