This dish is based on fried pork (xiao su rou).
lean pork 250g
salt 1/2 tsp
five spice powder 1/2 tsp
tomato sauce 4 tbsp
sugar 3 tbsp
vinegar 2 tbsp
water 2 tbsp
starch 1 tsp
- Cut pork into slices or strips. About 3-5 mm.
- In a bowl, add in starch (sweet potato starch would be the best choice, but I tried with corn starch and turned out not bad.) and beat in eggs. whisk till fully combined.
- Add in salt and spice powder. Stir well.
- Add pork slices into the batter. Stir to let them be fully covered with batter.
- Deep fry in oil till golden brown.
- To make them crispier, heat the oil and fry again. This step is optional.
- To make sauce: Heat a pan. Add in 1 tbsp oil. Then add in 4 tbsp tomato sauce. Stir fry to make tomato sauce fully mixed with oil. and color will be brighter. Add in 3 tbsp sugar, 2 tbsp vinegar and 2 tbsp water. Simmer with low heat. Dissolve 1 tsp starch in a little water and add into the sauce.
- Add fried pork into the sauce. Quickly mix well.
My husband is a big fan of this dish.