Huang Men Ji is a famous dish in Shandong cuisine. There are so many Huang Men Ji restaurants all over China. The full name is 黄焖鸡米饭, which means yellow braised chicken served with steamed rice.
1. Prepare chicken, cut chicken into small or medium chunks. In my hometown, chicken is usually chopped into small pieces, then got stir fried or braised.
2. Heat 1-2 tablespoon oil in a pot. (Authentic Huang Men Ji is cooked with clay pot.)
3. Add in 1 tablespoon sugar. Stir fry till sugar got melted and browned.
4. Put chicken into pot. Be careful of the hot oil. Stir fry to let chicken be coated with browned sugar.
5. Add in several ginger slices and dried chili rings. 1 tablespoon shaoxing wine, 1 tablespoon light soy sauce and 1/2 tablespoon dark soy sauce. Blend evenly.
6. Pour in enough hot water covers all chicken. Also add in Shiitake mushroom slices . (You can add a lot, because shiitake will become very yummy after braised.)
7. In with 2 tsp white pepper powder, 1 tsp salt. Put on lid. Turn to low heat and simmer for 25 mins.
8. Remove the lid. Turn to high heat. Reduce the sauce a bit.
9. Add in celery. Simmer for 2 mins.
10. Add in pepper. Simmer for another 2 mins.
Serve with rice.
My husband said it’s very similar to the one he had when he’s in my hometown. And it goes perfect with steamed rice.