- Cut pork into very tine cubes. Cut shiitake into small pieces.
- Heat a pan. Add in 1 tbsp oil. Add in pork and stir fry till no more pinkish.
- Add in a little ginger shreds. toss a bit.
- Add in shiitake, 1 tsp light soy sauce, 1 tsp dark soy sauce, 1 tsp sugar. and pour in enough water covers all ingredients.
- Simmer for about 15 mins. and turn to high heat to reduce the sauce.
- Garnish with chopped spring onion and Serve with hot rice.
My husband doesn’t like seaweed. But I think seaweed is really good for health. Yet, he doesn’t say no to seaweed soup. So I made this soup for him.
- Since I used dry seaweed, I soaked them in water till softened before I started cooking.
- In a deep pot, add in ribs and enough water. Bring to boil and skim the soup to remove all the dirt.
- Good soup takes long time. I put all the ribs in a slow cooker, with seaweed, corn, shiitake, red dates and some ginger slices.
Also pour in the water after boiling the ribs. Add more water if you want.
I cooked it for 2 hours. And just season with salt.
My husband loved it very much.
Usually in China, Chicken stew is made from a whole chicken. But I know for sure that my husband and I cannot finish a whole chicken stew. So I just used a whole boneless chicken leg instead.
- Soak dry 5 or 6 shiitake mushroom in 2 cups water. (Rinse under water first to remove all the dirt). Keep the shiitake water. Remove the stem and cut into 4 halves.
- Cut chicken into one-bite size.
- Heat a pan. Since there is fat in chicken, so actually, no need to add any oil. Sear the chicken to let the fat out.
- When chicken turns white, add in 2 tsp cooking wine. Stir fry till chicken got dry again.
- Add in 2 tsp light soy sauce, 1 tsp dark soy sauce and 1/2 1 tsp sugar (you can adjust it according to your preference). Stir fry to let chicken be coated with sauce.
- Add in shiitake, stir fry for about 2 mins.
- Pour in shiitake water covers all ingredients. Add in spices (ginger, star anise, bay leaf), I also added in 1 chopped carrot.
- Lid on. Simmer with low heat for 20-30 mins to make sure chicken is completely cooked.
- Lid off and reduce sauce with high heat.
This is a very popular Cantonese dish. My husband is a big fan. Actually, it can be found easily from local supermarket, and the price is very cheap. But I really want to try and make it by myself at home.
Ingredients: (Actually my meat portion is too large compared to rice, so I suggest using less chicken and pork. Cut down to 1/2 or 2/3).
sticky rice 1 cup
water 1 1/2 cup
1 boneless chicken leg
pork belly 100 g
Chinese sausage (La Chang) 1
dry shiitake mushroom 6
light soy sauce 1 tbsp
dark soy sauce 1/2 tbsp
cooking wine 1 tbsp
oyster sauce 1 tbsp
sugar 1 tbsp
five spice powder 1 tsp
salt 1/2 tsp
- Soak sticky rice over night. And steam for 25 mins. Or you can just put sticky rice and water into rice cooker and let the rice cooker do the job. (When I use the rice cooker, I put in too much water. As a result, my sticky rice is very soft and grains are broken. So I suggest less water here.) When rice is cooked, open the lid to let it get dry and cool down.
- Soak dry shiitake mushroom in water till soft. Don’t throw away the shiitake water.
- Cut chicken into medium chunks, pork belly into short strips. Put them in a bowl. Add in all the marinade ingredients: light soy sauce, dark soy sauce, cooking wine, oyster sauce, sugar, five spice powder and salt. Mix well and let them marinate for 30 mins.
- Dice shiitake mushroom and Chinese sausage.
- Heat a pan. Add in 2 tsp oil. Shiitake in first. Stir fry for a min. Then add in sausage, chicken and pork. Stir fry till meat turns white in color.
- Pour in 1/4 cup shiitake water and simmer for 3-5 mins to reduce the sauce.
- Since I don’t have lotus leaf, I used parchment (cooking paper) instead.
- Place sticky rice at one end of the paper. Put chicken, pork, mushroom, sausage over the rice. Drizzle a little sauce to add flavor to rice. Then roll it from one end to the other. Twist two ends.
Steam for 30 mins.
AS I said at the beginning, my sticky rice is too soft. Apart from that, everything is nice. And my husband gave it thumps up.
You can dig in just unwrap the paper, or you can put it into a bowl.
It’s a healthy-looking dish. 🙂
- Cut broccoli into small parts. Blanch in water for 3 mins. Then soak in cold water and drain.
- Heat a pan. Add in some oil. Fry shiitake mushrooms. 2 mins each side.
- Add in 2 tablespoon stock or water (stock is better). Simmer for 4 or 5 mins or till cooked.
- Set mushroom aside. Heat a pan. A little oil in. saute chopped garlic. Then add in 1 tsp light soy sauce,1 tsp oyster sauce and 1 tablespoon stock). Reduce the sauce a bit.
- Place broccoli and mushroom in a plate. pour the sauce over them.
So so easy.
1. Cut chicken into medium chunks. I used 3 whole chicken wings and cut them at the joint. So 1 wing can be cut into 4 pieces. You can also choose boneless chicken leg, better with skin on.
2. Hot pan. Cold oil. Fry chicken till golden brown.
3. Add in 2 or 3 ginger slices. Sauté a bit. Shiitake mushrooms in. Stir fry till aromatic.
4. 1 tablespoon cooking wine, 1 tablespoon light soy sauce, 2 tsp dark soy sauce, 1 tablespoon oyster sauce and 1 tablespoon sugar. Mix all ingredients well.
5. Pour in hot water covers evenly ingredient. Bring to boil. Turn to low heat and simmer for 20 mins.
6. Remove lid. Turn to high heat. Reduce the sauce and garnish with chopped spring onion or leek.
Huang Men Ji is a famous dish in Shandong cuisine. There are so many Huang Men Ji restaurants all over China. The full name is 黄焖鸡米饭, which means yellow braised chicken served with steamed rice.
1. Prepare chicken, cut chicken into small or medium chunks. In my hometown, chicken is usually chopped into small pieces, then got stir fried or braised.
2. Heat 1-2 tablespoon oil in a pot. (Authentic Huang Men Ji is cooked with clay pot.)
3. Add in 1 tablespoon sugar. Stir fry till sugar got melted and browned.
4. Put chicken into pot. Be careful of the hot oil. Stir fry to let chicken be coated with browned sugar.
5. Add in several ginger slices and dried chili rings. 1 tablespoon shaoxing wine, 1 tablespoon light soy sauce and 1/2 tablespoon dark soy sauce. Blend evenly.
6. Pour in enough hot water covers all chicken. Also add in Shiitake mushroom slices . (You can add a lot, because shiitake will become very yummy after braised.)
7. In with 2 tsp white pepper powder, 1 tsp salt. Put on lid. Turn to low heat and simmer for 25 mins.
8. Remove the lid. Turn to high heat. Reduce the sauce a bit.
9. Add in celery. Simmer for 2 mins.
10. Add in pepper. Simmer for another 2 mins.
Serve with rice.
My husband said it’s very similar to the one he had when he’s in my hometown. And it goes perfect with steamed rice.
1. Trim the end of kailan.
2. Boil one pot of water, add in 1 tsp salt. Blanch kailan for 2-3 mins. I used baby kailan, so I just boil them for 2 mins.
3. Put beef slices in a bowl. Add in 1 1/2 tsp light soy sauce and 1 tablespoon corn starch. Mix them well.
4. Prepare other vegetables. 3 shiitake mushrooms, 1 small carrot, 2 green or red chili, 1 stalk leek. Chop them into small size.
5. Heat oil in the pan. Put marinated beef slices in. Quickly stir to separate slices apart. When the beef turns no more pinkish, take them out and set aside.
6. Add in 1 tablespoon oil if needed. Sauté a little chopped ginger. When aromatic, add in carrot and Shiitake mushroom. Stir fry for 2-3 mins.
7. Add beef back in the pan. Stir fry for 1 min.
8. Add in 1 tsp sweet cooking wine, 1/2 tsp light soy sauce, 1 1/2 tsp oyster sauce. Stir fry evenly.
9. Put in chili and leek. Stir fry for another minute.
Spread kailan in the plate. Put beef over kailan.
Prepare one head of broccoli, 4-6 Shiitake Mushrooms and 6-8 big scallops.
1. Cut broccoli into small flowers. Cut a cross on the Shiitake if you want.
2. Boil one pot of water. Add in 1 tsp salt. Blanch broccoli for 3 mins. Soak in cold water and drain them.
3. Heat a little oil in the pan. Sauté mince garlic and ginger till aromatic.
4. Add in mushrooms, stir fry a bit.
5. Add in 1 tablespoon light soy sauce, 2 tsp oyster sauce, 4 tablespoon water. Bring to boil and then turn to low heat and simmer for 5 mins.
6. Add in scallops. Bring to boil. Turn to low heat and simmer for 3 mins.
7. Make a circle with broccoli in the plate. Place mushroom and scallops on the top.
8. Keep heating the sauce till condensed. And pour sauce over the dish.
1 big whole chicken leg
Chopped spring onion
Put chicken leg, shiitake, ginger slices and wolfberries in a deep pot. Add in enough water covers all ingredients.
When water boils, turn to low heat. Cover the lid. And simmer for at least 40 mins.
Sprinkle some salt and chopped spring onion. Cover the lid for another minute.