In fact, I’ve never had fish maw before I came to Singapore. Fish maw is not that popular in my hometown as it is in southern part of China. The story began on one day, my husband received a CNY gift, which contained many traditional Chinese ingredients for CNY and that’s how we got a can of fish maw. Never cooked fish maw before. But I still wanted to give it a try.
Main ingredient of this soup is fish maw. To make the soup more tasty, I made some fresh chicken stock.
Just put a half chicken into a pot with some ginger slices. and cook for 2 hours.
Apart from fish maw, I also used clams. I guess seafood like shrimps and crab meat also goes well with this soup.
- Boil a pot of chicken stock.
- Take the fish maw out, drain and cut into smaller pieces. The liquid in the can is also edible, so I just poured everything (there are also some shiitake mushroom slices) into the pot.
- When stock boils, add fish maw in. Skim the soup when it boils again.
- Clams in and simmer for 5 mins.
- Dissolve 1 tablespoon starch in 2 tablespoon water. Pour starch water into the soup and stir evenly.
- Beat 1 egg into a bowl. Pour egg into the soup while stirring the soup.
- Boil for another minute and season with salt.
Soup is easy.
My husband loves it very much.
Oh. For the chicken I used to make chicken stock, It can be served as one dish. Just cut in into smaller chunks. Mix 2 tsp light soy sauce and 2 tsp sesame oil. pour the sauce over chicken.