In fact, I’ve never had fish maw before I came to Singapore. Fish maw is not that popular in my hometown as it is in southern part of China. The story began on one day, my husband received a CNY gift, which contained many traditional Chinese ingredients for CNY and that’s how we got a can of fish maw. Never cooked fish maw before. But I still wanted to give it a try.
Main ingredient of this soup is fish maw. To make the soup more tasty, I made some fresh chicken stock.
Just put a half chicken into a pot with some ginger slices. and cook for 2 hours.
Apart from fish maw, I also used clams. I guess seafood like shrimps and crab meat also goes well with this soup.
- Boil a pot of chicken stock.
- Take the fish maw out, drain and cut into smaller pieces. The liquid in the can is also edible, so I just poured everything (there are also some shiitake mushroom slices) into the pot.
- When stock boils, add fish maw in. Skim the soup when it boils again.
- Clams in and simmer for 5 mins.
- Dissolve 1 tablespoon starch in 2 tablespoon water. Pour starch water into the soup and stir evenly.
- Beat 1 egg into a bowl. Pour egg into the soup while stirring the soup.
- Boil for another minute and season with salt.
Soup is easy.
My husband loves it very much.
Oh. For the chicken I used to make chicken stock, It can be served as one dish. Just cut in into smaller chunks. Mix 2 tsp light soy sauce and 2 tsp sesame oil. pour the sauce over chicken.
3 thoughts on “Fish Maw Soup”
If you buy fried fish maw in packet, then soak it in hot water for 20 mins to get rid of the oil, at the same time softening it.
Fosh maw comes in different price tag, depends on what fish type. The most expensive is “Wu” fish (午鱼”）。
午鱼 (‘Wu’ fish) = Threadfin fish
Fish maw is Hokkien cuisine, good for the health of our lung, as Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) believes ‘以形补形 ‘ (Eat animal’s particular organ nourishes our correspoinding organ ).