This is a typical dish of Northern China cuisine. 2 secret ingredients are dried mushroom and sweet potato glass noodles.
I brought them here from my hometown when last time I went back.
This type of sweet potato glass noodles need to be soaked in water for hours to get softened. Also wash mushroom many times and soak them before cooking.
- In a pot, add in chicken cutlet. And pour in enough water. Bring to boil and keep boiling for 5 mins.
- Rinse chicken in water and remove all the dirt.
- Heat a pan, Add in 2 tsp oil. Fry chicken till slightly golden brown.
- Add in ginger slices, green onion slices and dried chili. Stir fry till aromatic.
- Add in other spices: star anise, bay leaf, and cinnamon. Stir fry till aromatic.
- Drizzle in 1 tbsp light soy sauce, 1/2 tbsp dark soy sauce and also add in 1/2 tbsp sugar.
- Add in enough hot water covers all ingredient.
- Spread glass noodles over the top. (because my glass noodles really need a long time to be fully cooked). Lid on and simmer with low heat for 15 mins.
- Add in mushroom. Simmer for another 20 mins.
Stir occasionally and reduce the sauce with high heat.