Prawn ribs noodle soup is a Singapore local dish. It’s also one of my husband’s favourite ones. The key of this dish is broth.
Main ingredients are ribs, Prawns, and noodles.
1. Remove the shell and heads of Prawns. Don’t thrown them away.
2. Heat a little oil in the pan. Sauté chopped garlic till aromatic.
3. Add in prawn heads and shell. Stir fry till red.
4. Pour in hot water around 1 liter. Add in ribs, star anise, 1 tsp ground clove, 1 tsp white pepper powder, around 10g rock sugar, 1 tsp dark soy sauce and 1 tsp light soy sauce. Stir a bit. Bring to boil. Then turn to low heat and simmer for 2-3 hours. Season with salt.
5. Take the ribs out in a plate.
They are really soft and easily fall apart.
6. Take all the shell out. And they can be discarded. Scald Prawns in the broth for 3 mins. And set aside with ribs.
7. Scald yellow noodles, bean sprout and pakchoi in boiling water.
Here is the Hokkien noodles I used. But only half pack is enough for two people.
8. Places drained noodles and vegetables in the bowl.
9. Place ribs and prawns on the top of noodles.
10. Ladle broth soup and pour over them.
Serve hot with hard boiled egg.
My husband gave me a thumb up for it. He said it’s really like the one bought from hawker.
2 thoughts on “Homemade Prawn Ribs Noodle Soup”