It’s a classic Shanghai dish.
1. Prepare a fish or fish fillet. Cut into slices about 1.5-2 cm thick.
2. Place fish slices in a bowl. Marinate with cooking wine, ginger slices and chopped spring onion.
3. Drain the fish. Pat them with kitchen towel. Cos next step is to deep fry them. If fish has water on it, the kitchen will become a dangerous war zone.
4. Deep fry the fish with medium low heat. This step needs a bit patience. Fish after frying should be crispy.
5. Prepare the sauce. Authentic Xun Yu needs a big pot of sauce. But I really don’t know how to deal with so much sauce. So I decided to make only a little sauce. Heat a sauce pan. Add in 1 tablespoon cooking wine, 2 tablespoon light soy sauce, 2 tablespoon sugar, several ginger slices. Heat to reduce the sauce a bit.
6. Put the fried fish in. Roll it in the sauce and quickly take it out. If it stays long in sauce, it won’t be crispy.