I guess many people know Beijing Roast Duck. Crispy roast duck is popular in China. Duck meat will be cut into slices, and wrapped with cucumber strips and sweet bean sauce. I can eat a lot.
It should be crispy roast duck, but I only found big ducks in supermarket. So I decided to try with a small chicken.
1. Pour hot boiled water onto whole chicken.
2. Use a bottle ( with water inside) to make chicken stand and dry it. The chicken’s skin will become tightened and bright.
Later you will suffer heated roasting. Please cool as much as you can now.
It will take hours till chicken’s surface is completely dry. So I used a fan to blow directly at the chicken.
3. Prepare the mixed sauce to brush chicken.
Vinegar: 1 tsp
Cooking wine: 2 tsp
Honey: 2 tsp
Water: 2 tsp ( said in original recipe, but I forgot)
4. When the chicken is totally dry. Brush the mixed sauce onto the skin evenly and completely. Then dry it.
5. After chicken’s skin becomes dry, brush again. Dry it.
6. Stuff chicken with Apple chunks ( wet bun also used in original recipe, but I didn’t use it). And close chicken’s bottom with toothpicks.
7. Preheat oven to 200 degree C. Put chicken on the grill with breast side up. Under the grill put a baking pan covered with aluminum foil and filled with a little water.
8. Roast with 170 degree C for 40 mins. Then flip chicken over and roast for 20 mins. ( after totally roasted 60 mins, I found the chicken’s color is still a little light, so I roast it for another 20 mins, with the breast side up. And I also took all the apple chunks out.)
After it’s done, take it out and cut into small pieces, which I am not good at.
Then wrap chicken slices with cucumber and sweet bean sauce. Hmmm, so yummy.
I still think I didn’t dry it longer enough. The skin could be more crispy. But the chicken is tender inside. Very delicious.
3 thoughts on “Roast Chicken/Duck”
You crucified the poor chicken with chopstick and bottle 🙂
You can buy half duck in the supermarket (NTUC) but already cut into pieces.
I have the metal hook to hang the chicken / duck for drying after coating.
LikeLiked by 1 person
Reblogged this on Savoir Vivre -> 活学活用 and commented:
Add maltose (麦芽糖 ) with honey will make the skin more crispy.