Pressure cooker really makes my cooking easier, especially in making soup.
- Put all the ribs in a deep pot. Add in enough water. Bring to boil and cook for about 5 mins.
- Take all the ribs out and rinse under water to wash off all the dirt.
- Put ribs, lotus root chunks, black beans, red dates into pressure cooker.
- Pour in enough water covers all ingredients.
- Press soup button.
- Just 20 mins, the soup is done.
- Season with salt.
Very nice soup.
There are still some bamboo leaves left in my fridge since last time I made zongzi (sticky rice dumplings). Last Wednesday was my resting day. No work, no need to go out. So I decided to use some to make Zongzi. And also because I really missed zongzi, could’t wait to have some.
This time, I only used sticky rice, no red bean. And for the filling, I went with the simplest one – red dates.
Only when I went to college in Fujian did I know that not all the people in China have simple zongzi with only sticky rice and red date inside. People in Fujian have the meat zongzi, with pork, mushroom, peanut, beans inside. And according to the different color, they call the meat ones Hongzong (red zongzi), and our simple ones Baizong (white zongzi).
After trying so many types of zongzi, simple white zongzi are the ones I miss most. And that’s why I decided to only make Baizong this time.
- Bamboo leave and sticky rice should be soaked in water for overnight.
- Prepare red dates, either dry ones or sweet preserved ones are OK. Cut off the bamboo leaves’ stalk before wrapping.
- Use bamboo leaf to make a funnel shape. some rice first, then red date, and rice at last. Try to cover and wrap with the rest of leaf. And tie it with kitchen twine. Again I don’t care about zongzi’s shape. As long as it is tightly tied, it is a good zongzi to me. 🙂
- Boil for 3 hours.
If you make too many at a time like me, Please boil them before store them in freezer.
Oh~~~~I love them.
If you think they taste plain, you can even dip them in sugar first. I know some people in China have that customs.
Chicken leg and several red dates in a pot. Pour in enough water that higher than ingredients. Turn to medium heat and cook for around 1 hour and a half. The soup will become a little white in color. Before turn off the stove, add a little salt. If you like, you can also add some wolf berries.
In Chinese medicine, red date is good for skin and health. So it’s ideal for women to have.