I roasted potato, cauliflower, carrot by oven before. I always wanted to try roasting different kinds of vegetables at one time. And I did it today.
- Preheat oven to 200 Degree C.
- Prepare vegetables. I chose potato, carrot, cauliflower, broccoli, onion, baby corn, mushroom and cherry tomatoes.
- Wash them and cut. For potato, carrot, cauliflower and broccoli, they may need longer time to be cooked. So they must be in smaller size. While onion, baby corn, mushroom and cherry tomatoes. They should be in larger size.
- Cover the baking try with aluminum foil. Place vegetables over it. Drizzle olive oil. Sprinkle salt and black pepper. I also spread some dried herbs. And add 2 cloves of garlic. Gently toss a bit.
Into the oven and bake for 10 mins.
Flip them over. and Lower heat to 180 Degree C. Bake for another 10-15 mins.
Very nice. You can have various kinds of vegetables at one time.
And I put them in my husband’s bento box. One thing I love about bento is that he can’t be picky about the food. If I prepare vegetable for him. He has to finish it.
Bento for my husband (his second day at work).
I have seriously thought about what is a good match for rice to be in his bento. The first choice is sure to be meat dish with sauce, so that the flavor will go into the rice. My rule is do not repeat the same dish in 3 days. Since my husband already had chicken yesterday, so I chose beef. He’s also a beef fan.
- Prepare steak. Sprinkle salt and black pepper over both sides. Heat a pan. Drizzle in some oil. When oil is heated, place steak in. Mine is not very thick, so I just need to fry it for about 2 mins for each side. My husband likes tender not hard texture. So I tried to shorten the cooking time.
- Flip the steak after one side turns brown, (about 2 mins). Cut in 1 small chunk of butter. Also add in 2 crushed cloves of garlic, a little dried thyme. Fry for another 2 mins.
- Try to stand the steak and sear the side. Then put steak into a plate and let it rest.
- Same pan, no need to wash, no need to wipe. Because there is still some butter left with meat juice. I used it to fry mini portobello mushrooms.
- Mushroom should be washed and stem-removed before frying. Fry the gill side first for 2 mins. Then flip it over and fry for another 2 mins. There will be a small hole after the stem got removed. Drizzle in light soy sauce into the hole.
- Flip the mushroom over again. turn to low heat and lid on. Cook for 2-3 mins. Turn it over, lid on for 2-3 mins, too.
- Mushroom out. Same pan. I made a little sauce with the rest fluid. Also juice comes out when the steak is resting. Add the meat juice in. 1/4 tsp flour, mix well. Add in 1/4 light soy sauce, 1 pinch sugar, dash of black pepper. Reduce the sauce.
- Cut steak into strips. Place them over rice and top with sauce. Also put in mushroom and some boiled veggies.
My husband likes his bento very much. 🙂
This is the first time for me to try to roast cauliflower by oven. Surprisingly it tastes very nice. And it’s very easy to cook too.
- Cut cauliflower (about 1/4 head of a big one) into small chunks. Or you can just tear it by hand like I do.
- Put cauliflower pieces into a big bowl.
- Drizzle in 1/2 1 tbsp olive oil. For the seasonings, I added 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp black pepper, 1/2 tsp paprika powder, 1/2 tsp turmeric powder, and 1/4 tsp ginger powder. If you want cauliflower to taste spicy, you can also add in chili powder.
- Toss and mix well.
- Spread cauliflower on baking tray. Preheat oven to 200 Degree C. Into the oven for 30-40 mins. Or till the edge turns a bit brown. Flip them a bit in the middle while baking.
And it’s done.
Very simple and also yum.
I tear it into very small pieces. If yours is bigger, you can adjust the temperature higher maybe to 220 degree C, or roast a bit longer in the oven,
Preheat oven to 200 degree C.
1. Marinate chicken thighs with a little salt and black pepper.
2. Chop cauliflower into small bits. Put them in a bowl. Add in 2 tsp olive oil, a little salt and chopped garlic. Mix well.
3. In baking pan, spread cauliflower. Then place chicken thighs over. Brush a little olive oil on the chicken skin.
Bake for 35-40 mins. Or till chicken skin becomes golden brown.
Serve hot with rice.
I like this dish very much. There are usually two kinds of cauliflower. One is the type having long stem, and the other’s stem is short. I prefer the first type. It tastes better. And it’s ideal to be stir fried.
1. Heat a little oil in the pan. Put in pork slices. Stir fry till a bit golden brown. Then take pork out.
2. Leave the oil in the pan. Heat it again. Add in a little chopped garlic and ginger. Stir fry a bit.
3. Add in cauliflower (torn into small parts already). Stir fry till the edge of cauliflower becomes a bit golden brown.
4. Put pork slices back in the pan. Stir fry with cauliflower evenly.
5. Add in chopped red chili and 1 tsp of light soy sauce. Stir fry evenly.
6. Because my cauliflower pieces were kind of big, so I added 2 tsp water, turned to medium heat. And covered the pan with lid for 2-3 mins.
7. Remove the lid. Turn to high height. Sprinkle some salt and stir fry evenly.
It’s a popular dish in my hometown. Someday my mother told me that she learnt a new dish from her friends. And that new dish is this braised cauliflower with tomato. Later, this dish also showed up in the canteen of my high school.
It’s not a difficult dish to cook. I would also recommend this dish to those people who are on a diet.
First, you need to peel two or three medium tomatoes. Then chop them into small dice. Heat a little oil in the pan. Stir fry tomato dices. When they become softened, add in cauliflower pieces. Stir fry a bit. Then pour in hot water reaches half height of the ingredients. Cover the pan with lid. Braise till cauliflower is done. Sprinkle salt and dish out.