Today is my resting day. I was planning to make some dessert. That’s why I bought some fresh pandan leaves from supermarket. Yet, I checked my kitchen, there was 1 ingredient missing. So I decides to make pandan chicken instead.
1, To prepare marinade. 4 cloves of garlic, 3 red shallot, 1 small chunk ginger, 2 tbsp fish sauce, 1 tbsp oyster sauce, 1 tbsp sesame oil, 1 tbsp sugar and 1 tbsp coconut milk. Put all of them into blender and blend into paste.
2, Prepare chicken. I use chicken legs. So I need to remove the bone first. You can just use boneless chicken leg or chicken breast. So the chicken is about 400 g. Cut them into smaller pieces. Similar to size of my half palm or even smaller. Because later they will be fried. If the chicken pieces are too big, it will be easily for them to get burnt while the inside still remains uncooked.
3, Put all the chicken into a big bowl. Add in marinade. Marinate for 2 hours.
4, Wash pandan leaves. Make them a knot and put the chicken inside the knot. Just make sure chicken stays inside the pandan leaves. You can pin it with toothpick if you want.
5, Deep fry them in oil with low medium heat, till the chicken turns beautifully golden brown color. Pandan leaves will also be crispy. And your kitchen will smell incredible. 🙂
Finally I made one of my favorite dessert: mango sticky rice.
Sticky rice 1 cup
coconut milk 2/3 cup
sugar 1/3 cup
salt 1/2 tsp
1, Wash sticky rice in water till water is completely clear. Soak them overnight.
2, Drain them and steam over hot water for about 30 mins.
3, When the sticky rice is about to be done, start to make the sauce.
4, Add coconut milk, sugar and salt into a pot. Turn to low heat, keep stirring till sugar is dissolved.
5, Put sticky rice into a big bowl, pour the sauce in. Stir slightly to mix them. Then cover the bowl and let it rest for about 20 mins. Rice will absorb the coconut sauce and flavor.
1/2 cup coconut milk
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp rice flour
1 tbsp water.
Heat a pot, Add in coconut milk and salt. Stir a bit. Dissolve rice flour in water and pour into the pot. Stir to reduce till the thickness you like.
In a plate, arrange mango slices, sticky rice. And topping on the rice.
It’s a Thai style dish. My husband and I once had dinner in a small Thai restaurant. This dish was served there and we were so impressed.
250g pork belly
1/2 teaspoon white pepper
1 tablespoons fish sauce
1/2 tablespoon oyster sauce
1/2 tablespoon sesame seed
1/8 cup tempura flour
This dish is actually very simple to make. Just mix all the ingredients above in a bowl. And marinate the pork for 30 mins. Deep fry for 10-15 mins till brownish and crispy.
Cool down and cut into slices.
Since it’s an oily dish, you can serve it with chili sauce (squeeze in a little lime juice will be better.)
It’s not a very healthy dish, so please don’t eat too much. 🙂
My husband and I had very good Tom Yam Gong Soup when we were in Bangkok. I really love it. Can’t wait to try after we come back.
I bought Tom Yam Gong paste from supermarket.
It’s a really quick soup.
1. Add 400 ml water in the pot. Add in chopped blue ginger and lemongrass. Bring to boil.
2. Add in whole pack of Tom Yam paste. Also with a little coconut milk to reduce its spiciness.
3. Stir with low heat. When boil again. Add in Prawns and straw mushroom. Simmer for several mins till Prawns are cooked.
4. Add in chopped onion, red chili, coriander and squeeze in a little lime juice. Boil for another 1-2 mins.
If there is any soup left, don’t throw away. Pour it over cooked noodles. Very delicious!
I bought a whole pineapple from supermarket. Cut at the 1/3 height. Use knife and spoon to scoop the pineapple out. Set the pineapple shell aside. Cut the pineapple into small chunks.
I also used a pineapple rice paste bought from supermarket.
1. Clean Prawns. Take off the head and shell.
2. Heat a little oil in the pan. Fry the Prawn head and shell. Then discard them.
3. Sauté sausage dice and Prawn for around 3-5 mins till Prawns turn red.
4. Add in cooked rice and paste. Quickly stir fry for 2-3 mins.
5. Add in pineapple chunks and thawed vegetables ( I used frozen green peas). Stir fry for another 3 mins.
6. Place fried rice into pineapple shell. And serve hot.
The green curry paste I used was bought from supermarket.
1. Heat a little oil in the pan. Add in chopped ginger and curry paste. Stir fry till aromatic.
2. Pour in 1 small pack of chicken stock and 150 ml coconut milk. Stir well and bring to boil.
3. Add in chicken. I cut chicken into slices before cooking so they would be easier to be cooked.
4. Simmer for around 10 mins. Add in French beans, chopped onion and red chili. Simmer for another 3-5 mins.
5. Squeeze in a little lime juice before serving.
Perfect to go with rice or noodle!
This is a very simple dish.
1. Marinate salmon with Thai sweet chili sauce in a container for at least one hour. The longer it takes, the better it will taste.
2. Preheat oven to 180 degree C. Line the salmon fillets on the baking paper.
3. Put into oven for 15 mins.
4. Pour a little sweet chili sauce over them and roast for another 5 mins.
5. Sprinkle freshly chopped spring onion and serve hot.