- Cut chicken wings 2 times on both sides.
- Sprinkle salt, black pepper, paprika powder, ground ginger and ground garlic (or garlic paste) over chicken wings. Mix by hands evenly and let them marinate for 2-3 hours.
- In a bowl, add in flour and starch, ration should be flour: starch = 5:1. Also add salt, black pepper to taste. To add more flavor to the chicken, I add in mixed herbs. You can just add in the herbs you like.
- Prepare a bowl of water.
- Roll chicken wing in the flour mixture first. Then dip in water quickly and roll in flour mixture again. Shake off the excessive.
- Heat oil. Test the temperate with chopsticks. If there are many bubbles around the chopsticks, the oil’s temperature is ok.
- Deep fry chicken wings till the flour shell is very hard. Then turn up the heat a bit. Fry chicken wings for the second time to get gold brown color and also to make them crispier.
This is one of my husband’s favorite dishes.
chicken wings joint 6-8
cooking wine 1 tsp
light soy sauce 1 tbsp
dark soy sauce 2 tsp
sugar 1/2 tbsp (you can reduce according to your taste)
ginger slice 2 or 3
- Mix light soy sauce, dark soy sauce, sugar and cooking wine in a bowl.
- Add chicken wings in and marinate for 2 hours.
- Heat a pan, add in a little oil. Fry chicken wings till both sides turn golden brown.
- Pour in marinade, Stir fry a bit to let them fully mixed.
- Pour in enough water just covers all the chicken.
- Bring to boil with high heat. Then turn to low heat and simmer for 20-25 mins with lid on.
- lid off and turn up the heat to reduce the sauce.
I tried to cook rice and chicken before for my dog Charlie.
After that, I tried some other ways to make home cooked food for my Charlie.
- Canned food & rice.
It’s pretty simple. You can just mix dog canned food with cooked rice. Dog canned food can be easily bought from supermarket, and there’re so many choices to make. No matter chicken, beef or lamb.
Charlie loved it.
2. Salmon macaroni
I chop salmon (no skin) and carrot into very tiny pieces. Put them in a pot with macaroni and some green peas. Add in macaroni and enough water. Cook them according to the instruction on macaroni’s package, usually 8-10 mins. You can cook longer to make sure everything is fully cooked.
First time for Charlie to try salmon. He was so excited and keep licking his mouth before I served this meal to him.
After he finished his meal, he still kept licking his bowl all around the house. 🙂
My husband and I got this poodle Charlie last month. Ever since this little cutie came to our house, our life completely changed.
I feel so lucky to have such a little playful buddy as our family member.
Most time, Charlie has dog food which was bought from pet store. But sometimes, especially on some big occasion, I will cook for him.
Actually, cooking for dog is much easier than cooking for human, as there is no need to season or to make different flavor. Home cooked dog food has a very simple rule – boil.
Ingredients I use are always chicken breast, potato and carrot. Charlie is only 3 kg now. He was 1.5 kg when he first came. So Charlie has very little appetite. He can’t eat too much.
The very simple way to deal with ingredients is to chop everything into small dices. You can choose 1 vegetable and 1 meat. For example. I always chop chicken breast (about half of my palm size), 1/4 of a medium potato, or 1/4 of a medium carrot. You can adjust the ratio. Put them into a bowl, add in enough water covers everything. Bring to boil, then turn to low heat and simmer for 15 mins or till they are completely cooked.
There are 2 ways I used to cook for Charlie.
- Cook meat & vegetable and rice separately. Cos most time, I also need to cook for me and my husband. So Charlie’s meat & vegetable will be cooked in a small pot. After they are done, I will just add in 1-2 tbsp cooked rice from rice cooker. Mix them well. Cool down and give it to him.
2. Cook meat, vegetable and rice together. This way is much simpler. You just need to put everything into rice cooker. I usually cook 2 meals at one time for him. Then I can save the rest and keep in fridge. He will enjoy for the next meal. Food cooked this way is nicer since it will give rice more flavor.
Charlie obviously like cooked food much more than dog food. He’s often distracted by the sound while he’s having dog food. He needs to go and check. But when he’s having home cooked food, he’s more concentrated and cannot wait to finish them all.
- Prepare a big chicken leg.
- Sprinkle salt and black pepper all over it.
- Preheat oven to 170 Degree C.
- Into the oven for 40 mins.
- In a small bowl, mix 1 tbsp black pepper sauce, 1/2 tbsp honey, 1 tbsp water and 1 tbsp sugar.
- Brush sauce onto the chicken.
- Turn oven to 200 Degree C. Bake for 5-8 mins.
- Then brush the sauce again, and bake for the last 5-8 mins.
- Prepare vegetables and chicken. I used 1 chicken leg, remove the bone and cut into 4 pieces. Sprinkle salt and black pepper over the chicken. For vegetables, I chose 1 carrot, 1 potato, 1 onion, 3 shiitake mushrooms. And 1/8 head of broccoli. Cut carrot and potato into small chunks, dice the onion and cut shiitake into quarters.
- Heat a pan. Add in a little oil. Fry chicken with skin side down. When the skin side turns golden brown, flip it over to fry the other side. Set chicken aside for later use when both sides turn golden color.
- Use the same pan to fry vegetables. Add in onion, carrot, potato and mushroom. Fry for 2 or 3 mins. Add chicken, vegetables into pressure cooker. Pour in 1/2 1 cups water. Season with salt and black pepper. Also add in bayleaf. Cook under high pressure for 20 mins.
- Make roux. Heat a pan. Drop in 2 tbsp butter. Melt butter with low heat. When butter completely melts, add in 2 tbsp flour. Quickly stir with a whisk to let butter and flour mix evenly.
- Add in 2 tbsp cream and pour in 1/4 cup milk. whisk to let all ingredients mix throughly.
- Add vegetable soup gradually into the roux while stirring. When they are fully and evenly mixed, Add in the cooked vegetables.
- Boil broccoli in water and add in as garnishment.
- Season with salt if necessary.
- Prepare 2 chicken breasts. Sprinkle salt and black pepper over both side.
- Heat a pan. Drop in 3 tbsp butter.
- When butter melts, add chicken breast in. Fry for about 3 mins or till golden brown color. Then flip over and fry the other side till golden brown.
- Turn to low heat. Cover the lid. about 3 mins for each side.
- Use a spoon to scoop butter and pour over the chicken for several times.
- Set chicken in a plate.
- Use the same pan to fry mushroom with the rest butter.
- Deglaze with 1/2 cup red wine. Boil for a while to let the alcohol evaporate.
- Add in 200g cream, and blend well.
- Add the chicken back into the pan. Simmer with low heat to reduce the sauce.
- A little mixed herbs will add more flavor.
It’s a famous dish in Indian cuisine. For the chicken, I used a half chicken. I removed the skin and bones before cutting it. Of course you can choose chicken thighs or chicken breast.
- Place chicken pieces in a bowl. Add in 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp paprika powder, 1 tsp garam masala, 1 tsp turmeric powder, 2 tsp garlic paste and 1 tsp chopped ginger. If you want it to be a little spicy, you can also add in spicy chili powder. Marinate for 15 mins.
- Saute marinate chicken in pan. Heat a pan. add in 1 tbsp oil. Put the chicken pieces in. Saute till chicken turn golden brown. Take the chicken out.
- Same pan. Add in 2 tsp extra oil. Add in 1/2 cup chopped onion. stir fry a bit.
- Cut in 1 tbsp butter. Sautee onion till aromatic.
- Add in 2 cups chopped tomato. Stir fry evenly with onion.
- Pour in 1 cup water. Season with salt, garam masala, paprika powder and sugar.
- Simmer with low heat for 15 mins.
- Transfer everything in pan into the blender. Blend till it becomes smooth paste.
- Pour the paste back into the pan. If the gravy is not thickened enough, turn to low heat and reduce it.
- Add the chicken in. Cut in 1 tbsp butter and add in 1 tbsp cream. Stir well. Simmer for another 10 mins.
- drizzle cream before serving.
It can be served with rice or prata or naan. Very nice. My husband finished the whole big plate of this chicken masala.
I wanted to try this soup for a long time. Now since that I have pressure cooker, I cannot wait any longer.
Prepare a coconut and half chicken.
- Wash chicken clean. In a pot, add in enough water. Put chicken in. Bring to boil.
- Rinse chicken under water to wash off all the dirt.
- Cut coconut open. Pour the coconut water out and scoop the fruit meat.
- Place chicken into pressure cooker. Add in coconut water and fruit, also add in 3 red dates and several ginger slices.
- Press the soup button.
- Soup is very fresh and sweet. I added in some goji berries and cook for another 20 mins.
No need to season at all.
Actually I think it tastes better without goji berries.
My husband likes this soup very much.
My father-in-law gave me Julia Child’s Mastering the Art of French Cooking. I was super excited. I like Julia Child very much after I watched the movie Julie & Julia, and at that time, I didn’t even cook. She is a very nice cook with great sense of humor. And she’s bold in kitchen.
Most time, I cook Chinese food. There is a very big difference between Chinese and French cooking. Vegetable oil like canola oil, peanut oil or soy bean oil is often used in Chinese cooking, while butter in French cooking.
Today, I tried this Sautéed Chicken. Actually I used chicken drumsticks, cos they are in similar size, so I thought it would be easier to cook.
- Heat a pan. Add in 1 tbsp butter and 1/2 tbsp vegetable oil. I used about 6 chicken drumsticks. I turned to low medium heat while cooking. The heat power of My induction stove is kind of strong.
- Wipe chicken drumsticks with kitchen towel and dry them.
- Put chicken into the pan, sear for 2-3 mins till brownish. Then flip them to fry other the other side for 2-3 mins.
- Lid on and fry for 5 mins.
- Turn them around and lid on for another 5 mins.
- Season with salt and pepper, and also dried herbs.
- Lid on for 5 mins.
- Toss a bit and lid on for another 5 mins.
- Take all the drumsticks out in a plate. Pour the oil out just leave a bit in the pan.
- Heat the pan again. Add in 1 tsp chopped garlic. (I didn’t have shallot).
- When it turns aromatic, pour in 1/2 cup stock. Reduce to half remaining. (Original recipe also needs wine, but I didn’t follow that part.)
- Glaze chicken with reduced sauce.
They also go well with pasta.