Lotus root is a very healthy vegetable. And there are many ways to cook it. Sweet & sour lotus root is an easy dish and it can bring you good appetite.
1. Chop lotus root into pieces. And put them into boiling water for around 3 minutes. Then drain them.
2. Heat a little oil in the pan. Put the drained lotus root pieces in the pan. Stir fry a little.
3. Add in 1 tsp dark soy sauce, 2 tsp vinegar, 3 tsp sugar, 1 tsp salt, 2 or 3 tsp water. Stir fry evenly for 2 minutes or so.
4. After each lotus piece coated with sauce, add in a little starchy water. Quick stir fry a little. You can sprinkle some chopped green onion if you like.
Some people like the sweet and sour taste, but some don’t. I think it’s also a good appetizer.
If one dish should be chosen to represent China, I think it probably be this dish. It’s also the very first dish for most Chinese to learn how to cook. And it also shows up very often on Chinese’s table. It’s a quick, easy and delicious dish as well.
3 medium tomatoes ( peeled off, cut into even sized pieces. One tomato can be cut into 8 small pieces)
Oil, salt, sugar, chopped spring onion, starch, water.
1. Make omelet. Take omelet out once it solidify.
2. Heat a little oil in the pan. Put the tomato pieces in. Stir fry a little.
3. Add in salt and sugar. Keep stir frying. Juice will come out from tomato.
4. Put the omelet in and mix well with tomatoes. Omelet will be coated with tomato sauce.
5. Add in a little starchy water. Quick stir fry a little.
6. Sprinkle chopped spring onion before taking out into the plate.
In many Chinese small restaurant, they have rice topped by scrambled egg with tomatoes or noodles topped by scrambled egg with tomatoes in their menu. And it’s true that the sauce of this dish is a very good match for rice.
I used a half zucchini and made it into shreds.
In a large bowl, put in zucchini shreds, an egg, a small bowl of flour, a small bowl of water, a tsp baking soda, some salt and some black pepper powder. Then stir evenly.
Heat oil in the pan. Put a spoonful batter in the pan. When the downside turns golden brown, flip it over.
It’s very soft, so it’s ideal for kids. Zucchini can also be replaced by carrot, potato or white radish. It’s very popular in China. And it’s a good choice for breakfast. Very quick and easy.
This dish is perfect for rice.
1. Prepare a boneless chicken leg.
2. Heat the pan. ( no oil is needed here, because chicken leg contains fat. )
3. Put the chicken leg into the pan with the skin side down. The fat will come out. When the down side is a little burnt, flip it over and fry the other side.
4. After both sides turn golden color. Add in dark soy sauce, some sugar and water. Cover with the lid.
5. When the sauce becomes much less, remove the lid. Spread some black sesame.
6. Turn up the heat. Keep stirring to avoid being burnt. The sauce will become less and more condensed. Make sure the chicken coated with sauce evenly.
7. When the sauce is almost dry, turn off the heat.
8. Cut chicken into slices and put them on rice.
Brown sauce also makes rice yummy.
I found the recipe online:
This is my first crumb cake. And It turned out to be a big success. I did a little change based on the original recipe.
Sugar 80g ( I’m afraid the original recipe would be very sweet, so I reduced the sugar)
Baking powder 1tsp
Vanilla extract 1/2tsp
For topping :
Biscuit mix is used in original recipe. I changed it. I used flour and ground almond powder instead. I reduced butter and sugar too. Cos my husband is on a diet.
Ground almond powder 20g
Cinnamon powder 1 tsp
1. Cream butter and sugar.
2. Beat egg and milk, mix with butter.
3. Add flour and baking powder to the butter mixture. Then add in vanilla extract.
4. Pour batter into pan.
5. For topping: put all the topping ingredients in a bowl. Rub them by hand. And they will become crumb.
6. Sprinkle crumb topping over batter in the pan.
7. Preheat oven to 180 degree C. Bake for 30 mins. ( you can check with a toothpick. Poke the cake with toothpick, if it comes out clean, then the cake is done).
Powdered sugar is used to top the cake when cool. I didn’t use it.
It tastes really good. Since I reduced sugar, it’s not too sweet.
The topping is very crunchy.
I always think beef and onion are a good match. And it’s easy to cook.
1. Cut beef into evenly thin slices. Chop onion and bell pepper into medium pieces.
2. Marinate beef with some salt, light soy sauce, cooking wine and starch. Make sure each slice is coated with starch.
3. Heat the oil in the pan. ( a little more oil than usual)
4. Put beef slices in the pan. Keep stir frying till the beef’s color turn light and a little burnt.
5. Add in the chopped onion and bell pepper. Stir fry till they get cooked.
6. Add 1 tsp oyster sauce. Stir fry a little.
7. If it’s a little plain, add in some salt.
This dish is very common in China’s restaurants. And it’s not that hard to cook at home.
In Chinese we have a saying that “早餐要吃好，午餐要吃饱，晚餐要吃少”，which means we must have a good breakfast, a full lunch and eat less at dinner. Clearly breakfast is the most important meal in a day.
Actually, there are quite a lot of differences between eastern and western food culture. When I was in China, most of my breakfast were soybean milk, fried dough stick, porridge, steamed stuff bun, or noodles, etc. After I lived with my husband, my eating habit started changing. Now most of my breakfast are bread, cookies, and toast. My husband has a sweet tooth, but I don’t. So I have to figure out a solution between us.
My mom’s cooking has a great influence on me. Stir frying is a very common in Chinese cuisine. My mom is a typical Chinese housewife. She can stir fry almost everything. That’s her cooking theory. She’s also good at making new match between meat and vegetable. After so many years of being a housewife, she’s kind of tired of creating new dishes. I understand her after married. Sometimes, I get home exhausted and really don’t want to try a new recipe.
At first, I copied my mom’s theory. Stir fry pork with vegetables. That’s very simple and quick for me, cos I don’t even need to think. I just know it goes that way. Gradually, I find it interesting when I try new recipes which are not just stir frying. No matter it is Chinese cuisine, Japanese, or Western. I can always find new things to try. I think that’s the charm of cooking.
Another reason for I love cooking, I think is that it makes me very concentrated. I don’t know why but when I cook something, I stay very focused, like I’m the only person in the world. I can forget everything outside the kitchen. Cooking to me is not just a magic combination of different kinds of ingredients. It’s also a way to convey my concern and feelings. I want whoever eats the food I cook to feel the concern and love from me. I would be like a student in a test and ask my husband after his first bite “does it taste ok?” Or “do you like it?”. He will put on a big smile with thumps up and say ” very good” in an exaggerating way even when the food tastes not that good. I know I will never fail his test and that makes me want to improve to higher level and to cook better.
I don’t like cooking dishes that need deep fried, because it means greasy kitchen, wasting too much oil, and getting hurt by hot oil easily.
My husband like fish & chips very much, and both the dishes need deep frying. I looked up on the Internet and found ways to cook them without frying.
This was the fish fillet I used. A dory fish fillet. Season it with salt and black pepper granules.
Bread crumbs need to be stir fry with a little oil for a while, which will make them look bright golden and taste better.
I also added some mixed herbs and minced garlic. When the color turns golden, turn off the oven.
Fish fillet first covered with a thin layer of flour, then egg, and bread crumbs at last.
Preheat oven to 200 degree C. In the oven for 20 minutes.
Dresses with some vegetable salad.
Fish fillet inside is very tender.
This is an easy and quick dish made of vegetables.
1. Chop pumpkin, garlic, celery, and carrot into small pieces.
2. Heat the oil in the pan. Put garlic in first.
3. Then the carrot and celery. Stir fry a little.
4. Pumpkin at last. Stir fry for around 2 minutes.
5. Then add in enough water that covers all the vegetables. Cover the pan with lid.
6. When the vegetables soften, use blender to smash them.
7. Put the smashed mixture of vegetables back into the pan. Heat it again. Because the smashed mixture is very condensed, you can add in some water.
8. Then add a little milk and salt. Keep stirring. It will be done once boiled again. After milk added in, the color will become a little lighter.
You can add a little herbs or spices you like.
And you can also make a little decoration for it. Just spread several milk drops onto the surface, and use a toothpick draw on it. Yeah, I’m not good at it. The white part I drew is not that beautiful.
The soup tastes great. The pumpkin I used is kind of sweet. Carrot and celery make it healthier.