It’s a sweet Chinese snack in Southwestern China area, I think. Hong Tang means brown sugar in Chinese. Ba Ba refers to cake made from glutinous rice flour.
This summer holiday when my husband and I were in China. My friends there treated us Xiao Long kan hotpot. One dish is Hong tang baba. And their Hong Tang Ba Ba is very different. Outside skin is very crispy. Both of us loved them.
Here is the one we had in summer:
Like small balloons. Really really nice.
I tried to make this dish in my way.
1. Mix glutinous rice powder with water. To make a dough.
2. Divide dough into smaller ones. Make them into the shape you like.
3. Dip small doughs in water. Then roll in bread crumbs.
4. Deep fry them with low heat till golden brown. Air in Glutinous rice dough will burst out. So be careful when frying.
5. Add 2 tablespoon water and 1 tablespoon brown sugar in saucepan. Heat to condense the sauce.
Serve hot with brown sugar sauce.
Mine are not even close to the ones we had. But my husband still loved my ones.
I really can’t figure out how Xiao Long Kan Hotpot made such wonderful shape of Hong Tang Ba Ba. If anyone knows, please tell me. 🙂 thanks!